Is this anyway to make decisions on our behalf?

oresome 10:38 02 Jul 2019

MPs “had lower levels of concentration, were losing sleep because of worry, were feeling less useful, were less capable of making decisions and were feeling under constant strain” compared with those in the four comparator groups, the study says.

A recent survey has found that 3 in 4 MPs suffer from mental health issues due to stress.

click here

Cymro. 11:30 02 Jul 2019

It seems to me they are only after sympathy or perhaps even more wages. I dare say we can all think of some job or other that is worse than being an M.P. With the length of service some of them have put in it can't be so very bad.

HondaMan 14:06 02 Jul 2019

I would not call being an MP a "high level" job. If you have the ability to talk reasonably well you can fool the majority into thinking you are the right kind of person to represent them.

Forum Editor 15:49 02 Jul 2019

"If you have the ability to talk reasonably well you can fool the majority into thinking you are the right kind of person to represent them."

That might get you elected, but after that - do you have any idea of the workload that an average MP has to get through?

HondaMan 17:00 02 Jul 2019

From the Members I see on the Parliamentary channel actually sitting, they are grossly overpaid and under-worked

john bunyan 18:09 02 Jul 2019

In the ‘70’s I was at RAF Akrotiri In Cyprus doing some parachute trials. There was a visiting all party group of MP’s on a so-called fact finding mission. Hard work-no. Hard drinking- yes. Some MP’s spend far too long on such trips. I am sure some work hard , but no more so than middle to senior managers in industry, many of whom work over 70 hours a week

morddwyd 10:34 06 Jul 2019

If we don't like what they're doing we should change them.

It's called democracy!

john bunyan 11:03 06 Jul 2019

The trouble is we , unless you are a party member, we DONT choose an MP. We tend to vote for a party manifesto and sometimes end up with a person who we don’t want but can’t bring ourselves to vote for an opposition candidate. I think the US system of primaries would be better

Govan1x 13:14 06 Jul 2019

Recently an MP was removed by her constituency and as far as I can remember there were less than 1.500 people who added there names to the petition.

This MP fell foul to the law. But it would be interesting to know if all MP's could be removed the same way.

Then of course there would be the Prime Minister who at the moment can only be removed by a vote of no confidence by MP's.

morddwyd 13:59 06 Jul 2019

we , unless you are a party member, we DONT choose an MP. We tend to vote for a party manifesto and sometimes end up with a person who we don’t want **

"we , unless you are a party member, we DONT choose an MP."3"

Then join the party!

"We tend to vote for a party"

That is the fault of the people, not the system!

john bunyan 15:09 06 Jul 2019

The trouble is that parties, like the curate’s egg, are good in parts and a lone voice is ignored. Labour have been taken over by hard left Marxists, butI like folk such as Yevette Cooper, and the Tories by the hard right , obsessed Brexiteers like Bone, IDS, JR-M . People I like , one nation Tories such as Ken Clark, Rory Stewart etc are sidelined . My own MP is a EEG member, and ignores the views of all except her group. I switched to Lib Dem’s at the EU election but they have few people of stature. Imagine joining Labour and objecting to the Marxist folk. Their supporters pack meetings and even threaten opposition.

No it is difficult to get good middle of the road people to stand , and so many have only ever been poltitans.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Nexus Studios on how to make the perfect animation showreel and portfolio

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Test : la montre connectée Fossil Sport avec puce Snapdragon Wear 3100 à moins de 250 €