Anyone ever dialed 112 ...?

Quickbeam 08:44 07 Jan 2017

112 being the lesser emergency 999 that requires an immediate action response.

I used it last night after returning home to find that someone had attempted to gain entry through my back door.

I've always been sceptical of this, but as the would be burglar had flown, scared of by the piercing alarm activated by the shock sensor, I gave it a try.

It worked, they were pleasant, I got the all important crime number and a police officer attended within an hour.

The SOCO man is booked in for later today and the insurance people got a 24 hour locksmith out to secure the door after midnight.

So I'm no longer sceptical of it being a second class service.

Archonar 09:42 07 Jan 2017

As far as I am aware 112 isnt a 'second-class' service. It is an emergency number that can be dialed across Europe, and will allow you to get aid wherever you are. As I understand it it is essentially the same as dialling 999 (or the equivalent in whatever country you are in). The met differences are that it can be dialed on locked phones and phones without sim cards, will override the password on the phone, and will automatically trace your location.

I'm not sure but was 101 the number you were thinking of? That is the non-emergency number for the police.

morddwyd 09:56 07 Jan 2017

I also thought that 112 was an alternative to 999 to help mainland visitors.

I have used 101 and received an excellent response.

Forum Editor 10:53 07 Jan 2017

When you call 112 you access the emergency services in the same way as 999. The same number works in the same way, all across Europe and in other countries too. It is part of the GSM standard, and can be dialled from virtually all mobile phones - even if they are locked, or have no SIM card inserted. If you dial 112 in America or Australia for instance, you'll automatically be connected to the local emergency service.

When you dial 101 you will be automatically connected to your nearest local Police call centre - it is for non-emergency police calls only.

dagbladet 11:41 07 Jan 2017

I concur having once spent a little time on the receiving end of these calls. 112 or 999 goes to exactly the same place.

Quickbeam 12:30 07 Jan 2017

Archonar Sorry it was 101, typo time.

Quickbeam 12:33 07 Jan 2017

As there was no one at the scene of the crime, I though I shouldn't use the 999, and to find out what happened with the lesser emergency number.

I think that I got everything that 999 would have given after being passed onto this system once they realised that it wasn't a true emergency.

Quickbeam 12:34 07 Jan 2017

...and the CSI South Yorks team has just been too.

dagbladet 15:39 07 Jan 2017

Once again quickbeam. 999 and 112 are the same thing. It's exactly the same service. The calls go to exactly the same place.

Quickbeam 15:47 07 Jan 2017

101 not 112!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)