Anybody understand this Tidal Lock malarkey?

Aitchbee 20:25 03 Jan 2019
Answered
  Quickbeam 21:15 03 Jan 2019

I wondered earlier after hearing of it regarding the Chinese expedition this morning.

This animation explains it very well, and emphasises just how much of an amazing coincidence the speed of rotation is.

lotvic 21:19 03 Jan 2019
Answer

Your link explains it very well.

Quickbeam 21:31 03 Jan 2019

The other amazing space topic this week is the New Horizons Ultima Thule viewing. Spotted by Hubble from 4 billion miles (or is it kms, it's still a long, long, long, long way away...), that must be like spotting a single grain or sand on a beach in Rio with a telescope on a Brighton pier!

Quickbeam 21:35 03 Jan 2019

...and only a few hundred years ago the Church of Rome was busy burning people that dared to think of what was beyond the confines of earth.

Quickbeam 21:39 03 Jan 2019

The same effect is also found with Pluto and it's biggest moon I just found out, 4 mins into the video.

Aitchbee 22:08 03 Jan 2019

Thanks, QB.

Gravity's a funny thing.

canarieslover 07:41 04 Jan 2019

Will Pink Floyd re-release Dark Side of the Moon in Chinese? Lol

Old Deuteronomy 09:47 04 Jan 2019

**"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."**

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:27 04 Jan 2019

The Chinese have a lot of catching up to do as they have only reached the other side of the moon, (I was i there years ago as it happen to be the name of a pub near where I lived).

the Americans reached the edge of the Solar system 6 years ago click here

Forum Editor 17:48 04 Jan 2019

The universe is a wonderful thing.

I heard recently - on a programme about energy - that the energy radiated from the sun in a single second would meet America's current power requirement for a million years.

The talk was of nuclear fusion, and how much energy was locked up in matter. An expert illustrated the energy potential by saying that the amount of energy a fusion reactor could theoretically produce from a single dollar bill was equivalent to five times the energy released by the Hiroshima bomb.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf