Any one else gone wireless for an alternative ISP

Ex plorer 18:21 07 Jan 2017

Hi Anyone else gone wireless for a ISP. I have now been connected for three months.

Up to now it's been fine and works well with streaming. As I live in an area where 1.8 to 2.6 Mbps is the normal via the telephone line. Now I can get from 10 to 50 Mbps.

I pay £20 a month for 10 Mbps, options are £30 for 20 Mbps and so on up to 50 Mbps.

I no longer need a landline so that's a saving. It was costing me £27 a month for line rental including ISP, now no longer required canceled and disconnected.

Of course the one time set up fee of £150 is high but it's been well worth the money.

polymath 21:58 14 Jan 2017

I envy the landline speeds mentioned in this thread - I went wireless to access the internet at all! (But then, I am in rural Ireland).

Our copper line (if indeed it was real copper) was capable of dialup at first (some of the time), but defeated the new desktop and laptop I got later, so I couldn't start using them (for anything; needed internet to set them up).

Fortunately, a year or two later a small local wireless provider put up a mast within sight, so problem solved. I ported our landline number to a VOIP service (which, though a bit flakey, is far better than the copper line), and ditched the phone line (along with the highest line rental in Europe). I pay €25pm for 2mb down & .5 up. Speed fluctuates a bit depending on who's online, and weather (transmitter uses solar power), but is higher than 2mb as often as lower. There are upgrade options if needed.

And from my experence and others', there's definitely something to be said for one's ISP being John down the road!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans