Any one else gone wireless for an alternative ISP

Ex plorer 18:21 07 Jan 2017

Hi Anyone else gone wireless for a ISP. I have now been connected for three months.

Up to now it's been fine and works well with streaming. As I live in an area where 1.8 to 2.6 Mbps is the normal via the telephone line. Now I can get from 10 to 50 Mbps.

I pay £20 a month for 10 Mbps, options are £30 for 20 Mbps and so on up to 50 Mbps.

I no longer need a landline so that's a saving. It was costing me £27 a month for line rental including ISP, now no longer required canceled and disconnected.

Of course the one time set up fee of £150 is high but it's been well worth the money.

rickf 22:32 07 Jan 2017

Have been thinking about doing this but no wireless isp in my region, oxfordshire. You must be in London and with Relish? If not please let us know. Desoerately wanting to get rid of my landline but can'e because of need for BB.

rickf 22:33 07 Jan 2017

Read"desperately...."

morddwyd 09:05 08 Jan 2017

Can't get rid of the landline as I'm on a Community Alarm, but would dearly love a decent broadband speed. Still on copper with no forecast for fibre optic upgrade.

Ex plorer 13:03 08 Jan 2017

Not London, I live in the Yorkshire Dales we have three masts in our village. It's getting more popular now just glad it's here.

Forum Editor 13:11 08 Jan 2017

I pay £20 a month for 10 Mbps, options are £30 for 20 Mbps and so on up to 50 Mbps.

But what about data limits - what's the monthly limit before extra charges kick in? That's usually when costs start to ramp up.

rickf 14:03 08 Jan 2017

I am with PLusnet. Very good service but I am looking to save on costs by cutting out the landline. Seems I am stuck. BT's landline contract is outrageous at nearly £18 a month especially when you don't use the phone.

Forum Editor 14:24 08 Jan 2017

A Relish wireless service is only available in London, and when it was introduced it was well received.

Industry experts saw the potential for problems, as the user-base grew and pressure on bandwidth mounted. How right they were, you would not find too many positive reviews for the Relish service now but you'll see lots of very negative customer comments. These are, predictably, about slow or non-existent connections and appalling customer service.

Cheap isn't always cheap in the end. Bandwidth is the big thing in the ISP world, and in the wireless ISP world in particular.

Jollyjohn 14:44 08 Jan 2017

I have a customer who has gone for EE 4G service as an alternative to a 1.2MBs BT landline and she is very happy with it. The deciding factor was that EE provide a wifi router that has an ethernet port that could feed a Homeplug (TP Link AV500's which can clone the original wifi ssid & password) to give wifi coverage around a 3 storey victorian property with very thick internal walls.

Locally there is also Fibrecast click here a Dundee based company rolling out a wireless broadband package. Some positive comments on local Facebook - Faster Carse - group.

lotvic 15:52 08 Jan 2017

Because of poor phone line and speed, dropouts etc and mutliple problems with adsl, for a couple of years I was with WiFi 'ilovebroadband' (LNComms) now changed name to Boundless Networks I had a receiver box on rooftop aerial that connected to router in bungalow. Superb service, never had any dropouts. Only changed it when FTTC became available.

Ex plorer 14:01 14 Jan 2017

FE no data limit that I am aware of it's a compleat package for £20 month no limit.

Same as lotvic I am with Boundless Network i was down for a week but they reimbursed me £5 other than that so far it's been ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nintendo Labo review: Hands-on

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Les meilleurs SSD (2018)