any naval fans

sunnystaines 19:30 25 Jul 2013

just in case your near portsmouth the nippon navy have three boats there, were out yesterday just off the coast firring off there guns i presume they were blanks but very lound and much smoke from them.

boats are the JDS Kashima, JDS Shirayuki and JDS Isoyuki

Nontek 21:06 25 Jul 2013

I live in Pompey, heard the guns, but did not go to see the ships.

sunnystaines 22:33 25 Jul 2013

they were off the south coast of isle of wight when firing, also fly by by two military fast jets

Strawballs 22:40 26 Jul 2013

They were open to the public for free on Wednesday. I work in the Dockyard and they allowed quite a few from work to go see it during the day.

Aitchbee 23:07 26 Jul 2013

I have lived a sheltered life, so please excuse my stupid questions:-

Why are three Japanese boats practicing their firepower / arsenal off the coast of England?

and

Does the government know about this?

john bunyan 12:09 27 Jul 2013

Aitchbee

Whether our forces visit a foreign country, or theirs visit ours, there is a procedure for "Diplomatic clearance" usually done via the appropriate Defence attaché and Foreign Office. The exceptions would be secret missions , but these are rare and denied if someone is caught...

We make extensive use of US military facilities as they have far more ranges etc than us. Similarly the friendly relations between our services and other countries often results in cross visits -(Difficult to do Jungle Warfare or Arctic Warfare training in Portsmouth!)

Aitchbee 22:27 27 Jul 2013

Thanks for the responses.

Britain's naval defenses have been depleted, but it's good to know that Japan will be helping out when we [might] get attacked by an unforeseen aggressor in the future.

Aitchbee 22:44 27 Jul 2013

... and Japan, I suppose, will expect Britain to reciprocate if a similar scenario arises for them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

iPhone 2019 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs