Any free soound manipulation programs oout there?

Chris the Ancient 15:37 12 Nov 2009

Deliberately place in Speakers' Corner as it's not an overly important or earth-shattering type question for the 'really helpful' forums ;-))

Perhaps my ancient, creaking brain cell is playing up: but, I'm sure back in the days when I had Win 3.1 driving my 1.5M Pentium processor, 16Mb machine that there was a little application that one could use to manipulate wav files. I had great fun using MS sounds and making them sound quite weird and wonderful. So much so that I even used to leave my cocoa-tin desktop speakers switched on - just so that I could enjoy my creativity!

Is anybody in the position to recommend an easy - and free - add-on so that I can try and recover some of my mis-spent youth?

CtA

Pamy 15:53 12 Nov 2009
  Chris the Ancient 16:07 12 Nov 2009

Wow! What a program.

However, it looks as though it is a bit more than I really wanted.

As far as I can remember, that 'original' program allowed stretching, reversing and, perhaps, echo. One could also 'cut out' wanted portions only. That audacity thing would be a steam-roller to crack a peanut.

But thanks for the thought and the link.

CtA

Woolwell 19:07 12 Nov 2009

Not sure that Audacity in its basic form does what you want. I use it to record.
However I haven't tried this bu this seem to provide what you want click here

Bapou 19:12 12 Nov 2009

'Manipulate WAV files' in Google, purely out of curiosity and found this:
click here on the first page.

Chris the Ancient 19:19 12 Nov 2009

Hi Woolwell and Bapou.

Both of those look very interesting - and more in the line of what I was after.

I'll have a 'play' (pardon the pun) with them tomorrow afternoon when I get home.

Thanks

CtA

I am Spartacus 20:07 12 Nov 2009

Look in the Windows\System32 folder for sndrec32.exe. I think that's the one you were referring to.

dastardly mutt 00:54 13 Nov 2009

Wavepad sound editor.
click here

Free to try for 14 days. Turns into a limited version after that but still adequate.

Chris the Ancient 09:10 13 Nov 2009

That's the one!

Thanks.

CtA

Woolwell 10:27 13 Nov 2009

Doesn't seem to be in Vista.

Chris the Ancient 14:10 13 Nov 2009

I'm old-fashioned. I'm still on XP!

CtA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)