Another phone scam to fool the unwary.

VCR97 18:55 27 Feb 2017
Answered

This is probably known but no harm in mentioning it.

click here

Aitchbee 22:28 27 Feb 2017
Answer

Thanks VCR97, I didn't know about that one. I always naturally say Yes when asked "Is that Mr MyRealName?" I'll change it to something else from now on.

mole44 12:26 28 Feb 2017

I usually say "This is his butler may i take a message for him to call you back"

BT 12:48 28 Feb 2017

When I get the occasional call from someone I don't know and they say 'Can I speak to Mr.Xyz'? I always ask 'Who's calling?. Just very occasionally it may be someone I wish to speak to.

There seems to be a trend these days not to announce yourself when making a phone call, even from legitimate Businesses, which I assume stems from the use of mobiles in that they tend flag up anyone on your contact list.

Cymro. 13:13 28 Feb 2017

I suppose the thing is to just get out of the habit of always answering such a question with a YES. Would a yes an you hear me do?

Archonar 13:43 28 Feb 2017

Would a yes can you hear me do?

No I assume not as they can just cut the audio of you saying "yes" from the rest of the statement. Something like "I can" would be much better as it would remove any chance of them using it against you. Better yet just hang up if they ask that question and search the number on google - that way you can identify whether it is a legitimate company or not.

bumpkin 15:53 28 Feb 2017

'can you hear me?'

I can't see why any genuine caller would ask that anyway unless it was apparent that you couldn't.

Forum Editor 16:19 28 Feb 2017

"I can't see why any genuine caller would ask that anyway unless it was apparent that you couldn't."

That's not the point. The question is asked because almost all of us will instinctively say 'yes' without thinking.

Toneman 17:22 28 Feb 2017

VCR97 Nice to see you again, I've missed you for some reason, your moniker takes me back to home-built TV days...

Forum Editor 18:03 28 Feb 2017

Toneman

"...your moniker takes me back to home-built TV days..."

As does yours. It's always good to see usernames from the distant past.

VCR97 19:16 01 Mar 2017

Toneman

Yes, still around. I even have a '97 on the shelf.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)