another new phone scam has arrived

KEITH 1955 18:48 08 Mar 2019

OK so on previous threads we have talked about various phone scams but this is the latest one I have been getting over the last few days.

Your phone rings and the pre recorded voice will be recognisable as the one you hear if you dial 1571 to see if you have any voice messages. It goes on to say you have 1 new message ????? anyway it then say press 1,2,or 3 for various options.

HANG UP ! next if you dial the 1571 yourself you will be given the number that is about 15 digits long with lots of 9's in it , if you press 1 you will hear a garbled message to say mr * needs to talk to you about ( various things ).

I seem to remember seeing an article about numbers with lots of 9 in it , I think its like how viruses are sent round the world so they are harder to track , if I am right then the system keeps moving the number and adding 9 to make it harder to track.

lotvic 19:23 08 Mar 2019

From the details you've posted, I take it that you didn't follow your own advice and hang up.

KEITH 1955 23:18 08 Mar 2019

HI Lotvic , your right ! I did not follow my own advice because a recorded might have been from my 96 yr old mum , the point of this post was what happened and what happened next.

BT 08:52 09 Mar 2019

The solution is to opt out of 1571 BT or Virgin and get your own answer machine.

The BT version is I believe charged for although Virgin is free for the basic service. The big problem with the Virgin one at least is that the phone only rings twice before going to Voicemail which doesn't give you time to pick up and you have to pay if you want to be able to have a longer time. I opted out several years ago when I missed an important call from my GP because I didn't check to see if I had any calls one day. A few months ago Virgin activated 1571 for all their phone users without telling them, even those who had opted out previously. It was mentioned briefly on their website, but most people don't look at that often.

Having my own machine gives me an instant indication whether there are any messages with a flashing number without having to check physically.

Forum Editor 10:34 09 Mar 2019

Surely the point about this is that you dial 1571 - it doesn't dial you. The system puts a variable dial tone on the line to alert you when there's a message waiting so you'll know, and you'll dial 1571.

If you answer a ringing phone and immediately you hear a recorded voice telling you there is a message and asks you to press option numbers, you should simply terminate the call.

I like the 1571 system because it's simple, and by setting a PIN I can get any messages wherever I am. The system sends a text to my mobile number whenever someone leaves a message, and I can retrieve it immediately. The system also sends most nuisance calls direct to a junk folder automatically.

BT 09:20 11 Mar 2019

The system puts a variable dial tone on the line to alert you when there's a message waiting so you'll know, and you'll dial 1571.

And that's its main disadvantage, you have to pick up and check for the interrupted dial tone. Like I said I missed an important message from my GP because for various reasons I forget to check. My Phone/answer machine lets me know there's a message because the number display flashes so that I know without having to check

KEITH 1955 10:13 11 Mar 2019

HI FE …. you say 1571 does not dial you but that was the point of my post ….. it did !

Also see my comments after HANG UP.....

Pine Man 10:36 11 Mar 2019

you say 1571 does not dial you but that was the point of my post ….. it did

No it didn't. You assumed it was 1571 ringing you.

You said, Your phone rings and the pre recorded voice will be recognisable as the one you hear if you dial 1571

You were scammed into believing it was 1571.

Al94 15:05 13 Mar 2019

Had two of these calls this weeks alone. Report to BT using this link

qwbos 22:47 13 Mar 2019

I had a call this afternoon claiming to be from BT and saying something to the effect that my broadband was going to be cut off and I had to press 1 to...and blah, blah, blah. Didn't listen. Hung up. Don't have BT.

But the worrying thing about this call was the voice. It's the same voice that's used by some banks to send confirmation codes for online transactions, so some, on recognising the voice, might be more likely to be conned into thinking it's genuine.

BT 17:53 14 Mar 2019

Hung up. Don't have BT.

I've had the same situation. Told the caller that I was with Virgin and his reply was 'OK but even Virgin is run by BT.' Told him he was talking tosh but he then transferred me to the 'Virgin Tech' based in 'Essex' with whom I had a lengthy discussion until I told him I was a Virgin emplyee when he rang off suddenly.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?