Another day, another report on the environment.

oresome 09:29 01 Nov 2018

70% of the world’s last remaining wilderness in just five countries, research reveals today.

Yesterday I learnt that humans have killed off a large percentage of the world's species since the 1970s.

I'm regularly shown pictures of melting glaciers and ice caps etc.

So what's the solution? Humans have become too successful for their own good and population growth projections mean that the situation will only get worse.

click here

Quickbeam 10:27 01 Nov 2018

You're right, there's too many of us for sustainable long term occupation of the planet!

Forum Editor 13:51 01 Nov 2018

The solution is for all of us to do what we can to lessen our detrimental impact on our planet.

Nobody else is going to do it for us.

Cymro. 15:11 01 Nov 2018

I know that scientists are not very popular with some people and indeed many of our problems can be placed at the door of science. But I firmly believe that eventually it will be science that will be out saviour. Sooner or latter a way of producing cheap and plentiful power will be found. Lets just hope we can hold on till that happens.

Forum Editor 16:52 01 Nov 2018

"many of our problems can be placed at the door of science."

It would probably be more accurate to say that many of our problems are brought about by the ways that we apply science, rather than by science itself. Science is simply the study of the physical and natural world - it's what we do with the discoveries we make that matters.

I agree with you that solutions to many problems result from scientific studies, but the environmental damage caused by our activities has to be addressed by all of us as individuals. Lots of small decisions, taken by millions of people can have a massive impact.

The problem lies in convincing people that it's no good waiting for others to do the right thing, because then it will never happen. Science can inform us, but what we do with the information is up to each of us.

oresome 17:59 01 Nov 2018

what we do with the information is up to each of us.

Isn't it the role of government to shape our behaviour by various means?

john bunyan 19:01 01 Nov 2018

Long term, somehow, we have to slow the human population growth. A reduction would be better, but how? A few million here or there in diseases or conflicts is not enough . In my lifetime world population has gone from under 3 billion to over 7.5 billion. I think population control is the most important issue to tackle.

population

Forum Editor 22:38 01 Nov 2018

oresome

"Isn't it the role of government to shape our behaviour by various means?"

No, that isn't the role of government - that's a classic abdication of responsibility.

Quickbeam 06:28 02 Nov 2018

For more than 10 years I've made mention of the population getting out of sustainable control. It is without doubt in my mind the greatest social taboo that must be addressed this century for the planet's long term care and world peace.

We're victims of our own evolutionary success. Being born post war I'm probably from the best modern time to be born in from the perspective of the western world.

HondaMan 08:37 02 Nov 2018

Someone said "We need a good war every few years!" Not exactly the way I would choose, but it would work.

john bunyan 09:57 02 Nov 2018

Hondaman

Obviously we are not seriously suggesting wars as a population limiter, but in any case they are not enough! WW2 is said to have caused between 60 -70 million- so 10 such wars would “only” be less than 1 billion and in any case would be unsustainable. We need, somehow, to reduce it in the long term by a combination of birth control, reduction in poverty etc, unless sea levels rising , an uncontrolled epidemic, or severe climate change case a catastrophic reduction in numbers

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs sacs à dos pour ordinateur portable