Anonymity online - is it for you?

TOPCAT® 16:49 11 Sep 2005

Is possible to be totally anonymous online and is this really a desirable thing?
click here

There's more on this subject at ClickOnline (RealPlayer required) on the right of the page. They first discuss the merits of the latest processors, which could be helpful to the uninformed. TC.

Forum Editor 17:42 03 Mar 2006

I find it hard to have any sympathy for people who whinge on about poor government, and then admit that they never vote.

watchful 19:32 03 Mar 2006

Just vote for the best of a bad bunch. It'll turn around eventually so that there's one you fancy.

namtas 19:57 03 Mar 2006

I do not believe that the electoral registor record should be sold for commecial gain, but if it has to be then individual choice should be to opt in not opt out.

namtas 21:18 03 Mar 2006

Maybe their are some people not aware that their are two version, I assumed that everyone knew that.
The point I am making, obviously not very successfuly is that the choice to not be included on the full register for general sale and distribution should require an "opt in" on the electral confirmation form. Not an opt out

I think maybe many people may miss this small point on the return or not understand the implication

Forum Editor 23:20 03 Mar 2006

my father was a candidate in a general election, and sometimes I helped him when he went 'doorstepping'. I was the runner who went ahead with a couple of party officials and lined up electors who wanted to speak to the candidate.

I learned a great deal about apathy during that time, and was amazed at how many people were quite ready to hold forth on what was wrong with the country, with politicians, with all the political parties, with the NHS, the roads, the weather, and just about anything else they could think of, and then ended by saying "Of course, I never vote for any of you" or words to that effect.

Millions of us show little or no interest in political issues, have no clear understanding of what goes on in parliament, and care little about the future of our country - introspection and selfishness seems to rule the day. It's a great pity in my view, and we're paying a heavy price for it in terms of our standing in the international community.

watchful 07:08 04 Mar 2006

I can understand why you are disillusioned but that is exactly why you, and all the others who feel as strongly as you, should make your presence felt and then maybe you'll get the best candidate for your area.
Not all politicians are scoundrels even if it sometimes appears so. As with everything else there are many beavering away in the background and getting things done without the media hype that surrounds the leading figures.

A bit off topic now this thread. Apologies Topcat.:0)

TOPCAT® 22:39 04 Mar 2006

No apologies needed at all. I don't care in the least that the thread has gone off at a tangent, in fact it has moved on to a subject in which I hold strong views.

Something definitely needs to change in the political spectrum, in my opinion, that would hopefully induce more people to at least take an interest. Maybe then they would see that every eligible person's vote is worthwhile, with the knowledge that they had, at least, tried to change the status quo. What that something would be is hard to define if the recent history of all the parties is placed again under the apathetic's microscope. Only the politicians themselves can remedy that. TC.

Forum Editor 23:34 04 Mar 2006

to becoming a political discussion, and that's a sure sign of impending doom on a web forum.

If everyone skirts around the thin ice we'll be OK, but at the first sign of a party political comment I'll close it. Sensible adults should be able to sustain a debate about social issues without lapsing into political contention.

Forum Editor 23:45 04 Mar 2006

If it helps, I'm not aware of any rule requiring ISPs to retain emails for a minimum of six years.

In the past, the UK Data Protection laws required that only those records needed for billing purposes are kept for longer than 48 hours. The new European directive on data retention (which our government strongly supports) requires that member states compel ISPs and telecoms providers to retain data for a minimum period of six months, up to a maximum period of 2 years.

Companies would be required to retain:-

1. data that can trace fixed or mobile telephone calls

2. the time and duration of calls

3. the location of the mobile phone being called

4. details of connections made to the Internet (including dates, duration of sessions, sites visited.

5. details, but not the content, of internet e-mail and internet telephony services

Details of connected calls that are unanswered, which could be used as signals to accomplices or to detonate bombs, will also be archived where that data exists.

iambeavis 18:52 05 Mar 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Nest Hub Max review

Lena Vargas on bringing life, fun and adventure to her art

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans