Anonymity online - is it for you?

TOPCAT® 16:49 11 Sep 2005

Is possible to be totally anonymous online and is this really a desirable thing?
click here

There's more on this subject at ClickOnline (RealPlayer required) on the right of the page. They first discuss the merits of the latest processors, which could be helpful to the uninformed. TC.

Sapins 21:57 25 Feb 2006

I am surprised! Some people on here are using their real names?

pavvi 20:37 27 Feb 2006

You can request no direct mailing from carphone, and they won't send you anything, and they also do not pass on their database to anyone else

anskyber 21:58 27 Feb 2006

Got to be with FE here. Frankly I am not bothered a lot if the intent of gathering the information is for National security. No, big time if it is for marketing. Freedom to decide my anonymity is all I ask, not that I have anything to hide, feel free to look at my PC!! Its just the idea of having to give information that is unacceptable to me.

Kev.Ifty 23:22 27 Feb 2006

I would like to think I have a certain amount of anonymity whilst I go about my daily thing..

I shop at Tesco and have a loyalty card so they know when,where and what I buy. I too have a Nectar Card so 'those lot' also know when,where and what.

Plus I use the Nectar card with my BP card when I buy fuel from a BP garage. I can use the BP card (which has my name and vehicle registration on it)in almost any filling station.

Now and again I have to make a cash withdrawal from a Cashmachine.

IS THERE NO PLACE TO HIDE???

:-)

Kev.

pavvi 20:02 28 Feb 2006

Simply having the serial number is not enough to prove that the person stood in front of them is the person who purchased the item. you have every right under the data protection act to know what a compnay is going to do with information you give them, and as I stated you always have the ability to request no marketing

Forum Editor 20:20 28 Feb 2006

If you're not on the electoral roll, you're breaking the law. If you are a British, Commonwealth, Irish or European Union citizen living in the UK , you are required by law to provide your name and address for inclusion in the register, and if you fail to register you can be fined up to £1000.

namtas 22:53 28 Feb 2006

Thier are some exclusions but dont think Chegs fits into any of these.

Forum Editor 06:59 01 Mar 2006

Whether you vote or not is your affair, but if you're on the roll (and you aren't in any way disqualified) you have the right to vote - it's not a question of being valued or otherwise, nobody can stop you.

Forum Editor 23:42 02 Mar 2006

You don't need a voting card in order to vote. Just turn up at the polling station and give your name and address to the polling officer. He/she has a copy of the roll on the desk, and will check that you are registered to vote.

There's no legal requirement for you to have a card - that's just there to help speed things up for the polling station staff.

watchful 08:25 03 Mar 2006

in favour of compulsory voting as most of those who don't vote are just apathetic, i.e. 'it won't make any difference.' Then perhaps we'll get the government we need and not the one we deserve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware Area 51m review

7 tips from a junior designer on breaking into the industry

New MacBook 2019 release date, price & specs rumours

Comment se désabonner de Netflix ?