Analogue or digital, which is better

bumpkin 21:45 16 Jul 2017

Like most of us I think, I would say digital. A friend of mine says analogue is better but not used because of power consumption and bandwidth usage. Any input from the boffins here.

Aitchbee 21:55 16 Jul 2017

Depends what devices you have in mind, bumpkin.

bumpkin 21:59 16 Jul 2017

A good point HB, I was thinking of TV as an example but not excluding any other communication methods.

Aitchbee 22:12 16 Jul 2017

I always listen to FM radio which I believe is an analogue signal and much easier on the ears; also record quite a lot of analogue sounds [mostly speech] to hard disk which I suppose ends up in a digitized format ... saved as a *.WAV file. This is much easier to edit ;o]

bumpkin 22:34 16 Jul 2017

Some say vinyl has a different sound to a CD and is better. To me there is no difference that is one for the purists.

wee eddie 22:48 16 Jul 2017

The moment Digital is bought into focus it is necessary to consider the degree of compression used in the file. Digital allows a lot to be left out.

However, when uncompressed it will be as good as the equipment used to record it and the equipment used to replay it

wee eddie 22:52 16 Jul 2017

When speaking of Digital Radio. The Bandwidth is very limiting, but OK with the crappy speakers that they fit in most Digital Radios at the present

bumpkin 23:04 16 Jul 2017

it will be as good as the equipment used to record it and the equipment used to replay it

I agree but not really answered my question.

rdave13 23:24 16 Jul 2017

I thought that any digital sound had to be converted, either with the sound card, or within the speakers (digital), to analogue. Better sounds via digital signal then converted to analogue so you can actually hear it.

beeuuem~2 00:01 17 Jul 2017

Since the removal of the analogue signal my TV reception in the centre of Edinburgh varies when - the wind has changed direction/ atmospheric pressure is high/ atmospheric pressure is low/ it's cloudy/the sun is shining -- delete as required. Currently six channels are missing.

The vagaries of the cable network mean that is not an option, there is no provision in the immediate area.

Legally installing Freesat in a conservation area would require planning permission at a mere £150.00, although from the number of dishes around I suspect this is not always obtained.

Come back analogue - all is forgiven!!

wee eddie 00:35 17 Jul 2017

I was trying to avoid saying.

Digital, because of the narrow bandwidth required, gives you lots of Stations. However, Reception is variable and reproduction is severely lacking in nuance because they drop a lot of the detail.

Sad, but I think that we're stuck with it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)