Amazon etc prices if no deal Brexit

john bunyan 10:19 06 Mar 2019

If there is no deal , and bearing in mind possible tariffs, how can firms like Amazon, or any firm that imports a substantial amount of goods from the EU , price goods after 1 April?

Sales are already in progress for delivery in April-eg cars .

A total shambles, not the sunny uplands Brexiteers suggested . Far too late for decisions on these issues.

Clearly an extension is needed but with no solution in sight the same will apply in a couple of months.

Quickbeam 10:52 06 Mar 2019

Every time I hear an MP speaking on this, and they're not trying to push their official party line on the subject, they seem to be very confident that Parliament will simply not allow a no deal.

Govan1x 14:01 06 Mar 2019

Tariffs being added in goods coming in will be met with Tariffs going out.

So I would imagine some things maybe dearer and other things cheaper. Well I suppose that is the way it would or should work it probably wont under a Tory Government. We will have the Buy British slogans again and one of the places that would hurt would be the republic of Ireland.

The only way to stop this shambles is to have a no deal and just get on with it. Instead we will have this dilly and dallying going on for years. What the leave voters wanted was a clean break from the EU and a no deal seems to be the only way to do it.

Is that going to happen ,No.

I suppose no one wants to hit us with Tariffs because we can impose our own so we would not be the only ones out of pocket.

I suppose the EU could step in and do away with the backstop clause. Will they do that.No because they want to keep us in the EU. It all seems to easy to stop this fiasco but not with this PM in charge.If we have to ask for another 3 months stay of execution it should only be allowed if the PM resigns.

Pine Man 14:58 06 Mar 2019

It all seems to easy to stop this fiasco

It is - extremely easy - but about 50% of the electorate would be really peed off!

Forum Editor 15:19 06 Mar 2019

Goods are paid for, and VAT charged at the point of order. Tariffs, if imposed will not come into force at a minute past midnight on 29th March - there will be a breathing space made for goods already in transit.

I'm quite sure there will be no 'total shambles' The way you talk, one might think you are hoping there will be, but that would be a pretty unpleasant attitude, and I'm sure it's not the case

john bunyan 17:02 06 Mar 2019

*Forum Editor *

Of course I hope for a good outcome. But with 3 weeks to go after 2 1/2 years of talk , the current situation is chaotic. Business needs answers to plan ahead. Both Parties are split ; Parliament cannot agree ; EU are unyielding. Of course all this was predictable, as anyone with experience of dealing with the EU should have known. When I see people like IDS etc , I am confirmed in my belief that no “Big Beasts” are left in Parliament.

Let us see what happens next week.

The shambles has already started, in Parliament. No one can be pleased.

john bunyan 17:31 06 Mar 2019

Jus an example of many

customs

Quickbeam 20:10 06 Mar 2019

JB An interesting alternative view on Brexit

Quickbeam 06:33 07 Mar 2019

From "A total shambles" to a midden as we seek to replace 2 1/2 years worth of waffling within 48 hours with a workable plan.

With Tory rebels talking to Corbyn regarding his plan, it's now almost certain that the PM's deal will again fail the (un)meaningful vote pushing us one step nearer to a delay.

It's a complete mess, I think I might have said that before... but I'll probably have cause to say it a few more times yet

Quickbeam 07:08 07 Mar 2019

"What the leave voters wanted was a clean break from the EU"

The problem that remains with that statement is that their votes were based on what is now seen as fluffy clouds promises presented as clear blue sky.

The calls for an immediate no deal, which we can now be sure will cost us most of our auto manufacturing jobs over a very short time, are very much desperate calls from those with what I see as an irrational verging on a pathological hatred of all things EU beyond reasonable criticism.

Blaming everyone in Brussels for this mess other than seeing that it's all of our own making, we're becoming content to not to just shoot ourselves in the foot over our stubbornness, but to reload several times incase the first dozen hits don't have effect... I honestly don't see where the desperation to bomb out is coming from. Short term pain from a no deal for those employed in manufacturing that export 80% of their production into Europe is very much the end of their working life.

I started out as EU sceptical at the start of all this and now find myself a Europhile!

qwbos 16:43 07 Mar 2019

The problem that remains with that statement is that their votes were based on what is now seen as fluffy clouds promises presented as clear blue sky.

If you're more than 10 years old, and I'm sure you are, you would realise that anyone believing many of the claims of either side should have been barred from voting. Wild claims were made by BOTH sides, and there's no reason to believe that any more voters were swayed one way or the other. Pre-election bluster always has and always will be mostly hot air that dissipates before the votes are counted.

In the present case, the losers, who effectively became the Brexit opposition, did their utmost to discredit the vote and everything that followed it. All members of Parliament are elected by a process which they accept as being democratic, yet on this occasion, they've decided that they know better than everybody else and to disrespect the will of the majority.

The EU was never going to make things easy. If that were the case, there would be a queue forming. They couldn't give a stuff about the UK. Only the net income they've had from it.

The arguments will rage long after the process is completed, assuming it ever is. But the reality is that there's always change. Jobs have been moving eastward within Europe for quite a few years now, yet it's now convenient to blame the shift on Brexit.

You should also consider the effects of a No Deal Brexit on the rest of the EU. Nobody wants it, yet nobody appears to be doing anything to avoid it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)