Hot Topics

Am i the only person who dont use facebook

mrgrumpy 14:30 07 Dec 2019

These are reasons why I don't use facebook.

I set up an account , NOT a profile just because I saw some games I wanted to use and they were tagged to facebook. I only put in my name and email address because as I looked at all the empty profile boxes I asked myself if I really want people to know all this about me and the answer was NO. After a few months I got some emails from people allegedly via facebook commenting on what I had been posting. I opened them on a spare pc and also went on my facebook account , I had to do forgot password link as somebody had changed it. I was shocked at what I was reading about what was supposed to be me. The last time I went on it I posted a "this is not me" message , I screenshot it and printed it off.

At work I could not convince a guy I don't use facebook he just kept saying I bet you use a fake name so you don't get found out. I pointed out to him that was pointless because people who knew the real me would know it was fake but he still used to make comments about what he read in an attempt to catch me out. This is one comment I here regular , ….. have you heard about blah blah blag its all over facebook. I would then point out that "where we live" does not have an account they are comments posted by people you follow. I once stood in a queue to order food and the person in front of me stopped ordering to answer a follower , the staff member pointed at another till and he left her and took my order , she kicked off so I said if that is more important than food then carry on typing. I have seen this one many times , 4 people gone out for a meal , all typing not talking. My cousin is really anti social media and he once said to one of his children order your food , he carried on typing. The food arrived and he got nothing , his dad said food or facebook I gave you a choice. A pal of mine had a big bust up with his family because his dad found out he was gay before he got chance to tell him. OK so now its question time but please be careful how you answer it. Have you posted something or read something about yourself that was either not true or caused you a problem. BTW the only social media I use is twitter because I can choose how to follow without them having to know everything about me. That said , unless people print lies they only find out what you volunteer.

Old Deuteronomy 14:48 07 Dec 2019

Am i the only person who dont use facebook

No, I stopped using it nearly a year ago. Had enough of the abuse of privacy, the lack of control over what is shown on MY timeline and the shear quantity of lies and utter bullplop on the platform. Not bothered about all the ads because I just blocked them.

Forum Editor 15:01 07 Dec 2019

I have never signed up with Facebook, and have no plans to do so.

Brumas 15:08 07 Dec 2019

Echo FE on this, I am also not interested in Twitter, Instagram etc.. Basically i'm a Luddite ;o}

mrgrumpy 15:11 07 Dec 2019

thanks for positive feedback I expected to be told I am an old fart , and to come out of the dark ages as is normal but of course we know its not normal.

mrgrumpy 15:40 07 Dec 2019

The only good thing about social media is people around the world posting video clips of incidents that certain governments deny are happening. The negative side of course is the recent incident on London bridge , social media footage posted by individuals is not edited and you run the risk of posting something that police and security may not want you to see for obvious reasons. When the news agencies reported that incident you heard gunshots but did not see it and that was the right decision.

Belatucadrus 15:43 07 Dec 2019

I have never signed up with Facebook, and have no plans to do so.

Ditto and same with Twitter and all other similar stuff. I'm still on a few forums but as they fizzle out I'm not replacing them.

caccy 16:44 07 Dec 2019

Exactly the same as BRUMAS.

Always put an "e" after the "a" and an "s" after the last "e" when anybody asks me if I'm on F/book. Juvenile I know, but makes me feel better,(also have unprintable names for some of the others.

Forum Editor 17:11 07 Dec 2019

"The social world would be better without it and the rest of the other social media sites."

As with other things in life, your use of social media can be a good or a bad experience, depending on how you use it. The old adage 'It's not what you do, but the way that you do it' sums it up. Used wisely, social media can have a positive effect on your life, making it easy to keep in touch with family and friends at any time, and in any place. You can see photos of that party you missed, or read all about someone's new job, and so on. In a few minutes on a social media platform you can learn more about what is going on in your social circle than you would in hours on the phone or via email.

On the downside, some people may find out more about your life than you might like, or you may find yourself being drawn into interactions you might regret. Cyber bullying and sexual harassment is a huge problem, and despite the reassuring words poured forth by the social media companies it is increasing. There are year on year increases in the numbers and rates of police-recorded online child sexual offences in England and Wales and Northern Ireland, and In 2017/18 there were 8,525 child sexual offences with an online element in England and Wales. This represented a 49 per cent increase on the previous year.

These are reported crimes - the total of unreported incidents is believed to be much higher.

Almost half of all children in the Uk aged between 5 and 15 now have a smartphone, and 90% of UK children between the ages of 11 and 15 who use the internet now have a social media account. When surveyed by the NSPCC less than half of those children knew how to knew how to change their social media settings to control who could view their content. I can't help the feeling that an awful lot of parents are failing their children if they can't at least help them to help themselves in this respect.

It would be wrong to think that social media use is the only way that vulnerable people can be targeted, but a huge amount of it takes place on those platforms.

john bunyan 17:40 07 Dec 2019

Like others here, I have never signed up to Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etc. For a small family group and for messages from a medical consultant I occasionally use WhatsApp as it allows free photos to be sent and is encrypted.

I don’t know how some youngsters find the time to use social media as much as they do, and am worried that so much of their knowledge of what’s going on in the world comes from Facebook etc

morddwyd 18:30 07 Dec 2019

No

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor Magic Watch 2 review

Salmon, space dogs, skeletons: The Chemical Brothers' greatest music videos

Comment regarder les Oscars 2020 ?