Alternatives to cash ~ Too many

wee eddie 14:24 09 Apr 2018
Answered

Alternatives to cash ~ There appear to be so many.

I have been looking into alternatives to cash, as methods of payment for my Taxi.

There appear to be a multitude of systems, all of which are incompatible with one another. Each sings its own praises and tells me why it is superior to the other systems.

My question is addressed to those here who have experienced this problem.

Which do I chose and how do I handle those who, having used my service, offer payment in a system which is incompatible with the one I have chosen?

mrcalif 16:11 09 Apr 2018

Just wondering how many do you know? I only know two. Chip & Pin and Contactless.

wee eddie 19:24 09 Apr 2018

There's also a slew of Internet based ones, PayPal, Apple Pay, an Android one and more.

Kids seem to be trying to use these, more and more often

oresome 19:31 09 Apr 2018

Isn't this something that should be sorted out by your trade body?

It's pointless you adopting one system and every other taxi possibly a different one.

mrcalif 19:44 09 Apr 2018

There's also a slew of Internet based ones, PayPal, Apple Pay, an Android one and more. Kids seem to be trying to use these, more and more often

Apple & Samsung Pay are both based on the contactless pay system. You just link your card details to your phone or watch and to simplify, the device uses the NFC Chip inside the device.

I can't see PayPal being a benefit in a cab. You can get mobile pay terminals, however they require a good phone signal to operate.

I'd stick with cash wee eddie.

mrcalif 19:48 09 Apr 2018

Not forgetting your going to have to pay for the privilege of using Chip & Pin and Contactless.

Don't both those take a certain percentage of the transaction.

morddwyd 19:49 09 Apr 2018

Firstly, avoid PayPal when you can. It is owned by Microsoft and they are not known for their speed of sorting customer problems.

on personal experience I would go for Android pay. Nothing against the others, but it is so global, and so many people have mobile phones and use them constantly that it is already the notm for many.

An alternate is to get your bank to issue you with a card/phone reader.

wee eddie 20:05 09 Apr 2018

At the present the annual cost of any Card Reading System exceeds the amount of fares, that Clients using them, need to pay, but I feel that there is a need to keep up.

Old Deuteronomy 20:26 09 Apr 2018

Firstly, avoid PayPal when you can. It is owned by Microsoft and they are not known for their speed of sorting customer problems.

Paypal is not owned by Microsoft. Paypal Holdings inc is primarily owned by financial institutions, a summary here; Nasdaq.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 09 Apr 2018

Barter

a cab ride for that shiny phone they are holding in their hand :0)

bumpkin 21:28 09 Apr 2018

Nothing better than cash in my opinion, let us not encourage its demise.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple