alpha beta early access is it a con.

MJS WARLORD 11:45 03 Apr 2018

Please don't give me any abuse but I would like your feedback on the following.

I have been a die hard gamer since 1982 ( I am 62 ) I can remember a time when you bought a game that obviously had a few bugs in it but to be fair do you expect the makers to study every square inch of a game world and lets face it nobody is perfect.

That said I think some games companies are becoming lazy and expect us to work for them for free , they openly admit games are unfinished but invite us to tell them whats wrong with them.

I have come across this many times , you open a door that should not open and free fall into green screen , you jump into a "dead corner" and because your not supposed to be there you cant jump out , I once bought a game on release day only to find a massive update patch waiting for me ????

The worse example of sloppy programming was a dungeons type game made only a couple of years ago , at one point I even apologised for the number of screen shots I was sending somebody showing "something" being the wrong colour to open doors. I checked my emails on xmas day whilst the dinner was cooking and that morning he sent me a patch to test. The only thing I can say about that is that if I had not told him about the final bug then nobody would have ever completed it.

Gordon Freeman 12:59 03 Apr 2018

I think it would be nigh on impossible for a developer to validate games 100%; the developers would never get the game through the door and out to market. To go everywhere & do everything a player might is not feasible. Take Skyrim & Fallout 4 as examples. Massive games with multiple scenarios & outcomes. Patching is an inevitable part of the gaming process. Just imagine how bad things would be if they didn't provide patches?

Forum Editor 18:26 03 Apr 2018

"I think some games companies are becoming lazy and expect us to work for them for free , they openly admit games are unfinished but invite us to tell them whats wrong with them."

Developing a modern computer game is probably more complex than you realise. You play games, and that's the easy part. Developing them is far from easy.

First in the process come the Game designers - they are the people (usually with a BSc or BA degree in game design) who know what gamers want in a game. They create the look and the structure of a game and envisage how it will play.

Then come game programmers - teams of them. Their job is to code the game, so it all works and looks exactly like the designers' vision. If there's a glitch in the game, they are the people who carry the responsibility for fixing it.

It's a highly complex and expensive business - a triple A game like Assassin's Creed took a team of over 350 people more than two years to develop. Some games have taken four years from conception to completion.

As Gordon Freeman has said, it is practically impossible to release a game that works 100% correctly from start to finish.

Old Deuteronomy 20:36 03 Apr 2018

A few bugs in a new game are inevitable, with some games running to more than 50GB.

The real test of a publisher is whether bugs get fixed after they have been reported by players.

bumpkin 21:07 03 Apr 2018

It is not a con, they require players input to try to improve things and sort any glitches.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel 3 review

Automatically create thousands of unique variations from one original design with this Illustrator…

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Test : le Razer Phone 2