Alfie Evans, is there a right or wrong?

canarieslover 17:02 25 Apr 2018

As much as I have a lot of sympathy for his parents I can't help thinking that at some point, if he lives so long, he will be left on his own. There used to be a hospital for mentally disabled children very near to where I live but very few of them ever went home even as they reached adulthood. Many never received visitors and were totally dependent on the nurses and doctors. A lot of these were put in there because the parents could no longer cope and the stress caused marriage breakdowns. I don't know whether Alfie's parents will suffer this fate or not but I don't think the future looks too good for Alfie without a miracle happening.

Pine Man 18:53 25 Apr 2018

I learned, tonight, that both the German and Italian offer of treatment isn't to cure him but merely to keep him, artificially, alive. They both recognise that there isn't a cure but both countries don't remove support unless the parents approve.

I see that the parents are now pursuing murder charges against three of the doctors involved!

A very sad case that will never be resolved to anybodies satisfaction.

canarieslover 19:44 25 Apr 2018

My fear is that the biggest sufferer will be Alfie. There is a big difference between being alive and being kept alive. I don't know if I could cope with having a child going through all this. Is it fair to him?

Govan1x 23:20 25 Apr 2018

lets face it doctors don't always get it right maybe because they cannot get the right treatment in the UK.

Not that long ago a couple of parents had to kidnap their own son and take him to Europe for treatment. They ended up in prison for a few weeks because of it.

It was the same argument there was no cure for him. But of course there was. Their boy is still alive and well maybe this child should have the same rights.

I think the parents should have the last say on the matter and not the government.

As a parent you want the best for your child and taking him elsewhere for treatment should be there choice. You want to do everything possible to help make them better and even if it does not work out at least they know they have tried their best.

alanrwood 08:57 26 Apr 2018

Can't see any reason to refuse their wish to take their son to Italy if they so wish. Although I have no doubt that the doctors concerned think they are doing the right thing I am always somewhat afraid that their arrogance in over riding the parents wish can result in an acceptance that they have the over riding right to pass judgement. They do get things wrong on occasion but that is irrelevant to my way of thinking as I don't doubt their sincerity. I just can't accept that they should have the overriding right to make the decision that a child should be denied life. The fact that the courts place more emphasis on medical opinion rather than the parents wish is wrong in my opinion. I also have a suspicion that the decision is related to cost of continual ongoing treatment.

Quickbeam 18:22 26 Apr 2018

The parents will always be on the emotive side of these disputes, but my feeling is they are hoping that there will be a miracle.

Sometimes you have to let go and let the natural course just happen.

Cymro. 11:09 28 Apr 2018

Latest on this one

I suppose this very sad story was bound to end like this. I have not responded before because I had no idea what the answer was or even if there was an answer.

Pine Man 11:18 28 Apr 2018

Govan1x

I think the parents should have the last say on the matter and not the government.

It's nothing to do with the government - it's the courts, to which the government are also accountable.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Frida Kahlo's life, art and legacy explored in Google's new giant online collection and app

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?