Hot Topics

Air strikes approved

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 26 Sep 2014

So we find ourselves in another war

click here

amonra 11:25 28 Sep 2014

FE. In your above reply you stated one very important fact, EDUCATION ! The only answer to the troubles in most of the world is education. Until the vast majority of the arab world is better educated then we are beating ourselves to death. On the other hand, the younger population of Saudi Arabia is VERY well educated but is a powder-keg waiting to explode, as their ambitions are severely curtailed by the older generation. You can't win.

spuds 14:43 28 Sep 2014

"you're simply churning out a lot of stuff about what went on before, which isn't really the least bit relevant to what we do in the present set of circumstances."

Forum Editor, I find that statement rather amazing, because I seem to recall when any major event takes place, the usual "Lessons will be learned" is a main part of any response, especially to the public. Surely, if "Lessons are to be learned", then that can only be based on previous events. We don't seem to be learning very well, from bad or questionable previous experiences.

BillSers - I could not agree more with your 11.14AM post. The quote "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is often being stated lately, and more so from senior military circles, especially the USA. I would regards that particular quote covers most nations, and as done throughout history.

Whatever the case, I note from media reports that this next episode is being pencilled in as a three year exercise to rid the world of IS. Perhaps bombings in Syria, then spreading to the "African War on Terror" in Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Morocco, Mali, Nigeria. Quite a comprehensive list, but my main concern is what the immigrant population here in the UK are thinking, or even planning to do. And perhaps the younger generation of immigrants who regard that their homeland or believes are being suppressed. Does this mean more talks in Parliament about increasing the internal defense budgets or further talks about Border Controls, and who we should allow back into the UK. I wouldn't have the answer, but it going to be interesting to find out.

spuds 14:49 28 Sep 2014

amonra

"Until the vast majority of the arab world is better educated then we are beating ourselves to death. On the other hand, the younger population of Saudi Arabia is VERY well educated but is a powder-keg waiting to explode, as their ambitions are severely curtailed by the older generation. You can't win."

Yet another sensible post that seems to weigh up the situation, which I also agree with. But it just doesn't only apply to Saudi Arabia, but many other 'Arabic' or Muslim states.

bumpkin 15:59 28 Sep 2014

Were these terrorists or any others to set up camp in Russia they would probably soon "Disappear" We are far too tolerant here hence our problems. Offer someone an inch and they take a lightyear.

john bunyan 16:32 28 Sep 2014

Just to deal with Iraq (not Syria), for the moment, I think most serious military folk agree that US/UK conventional ground troops will not be used. The Iraqi army has 250000 or so, of which a large number are the semi - autonomous Peshmerga (Kurds). The main Iraqi army, equipped at great expense my the USA originally was officered by (mainly Sunni) officers from the old army, quite experienced. Most of these were purged my el Malaki and replaced at the top level by inexperienced Shiite friends. When the IS insurgent met the Iraqi army , these Shiite generals had little desire to fight for the Sunni regions, and simply ran away, leaving much equipment. In my view we need to make contact using SF / clandestine people with the Sunni tribes, who may well feel IS is too extreme. Also we need to ensure the new president gets the right senior officers in place in the Iraqi army and agree to give the Kurds more autonomy after the "war". A combination of air support, SF support and training of the Kurds and Iraqis, with their superior numbers should be able to conquer IS in Iraq without the need for main force troops from the West. Syria is a different issue, too long for this post.

Quickbeam 07:40 29 Sep 2014

We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. We didn't want to get involved in Syria last year when all this is thought to have germinated, and if we'd got involved last year, we'd have been seen as interfering westerners.

Classic catch 22.

BillSers 08:38 29 Sep 2014

FE. In your above reply you stated one very important fact, EDUCATION ! The only answer to the troubles in most of the world is education.

There is a minor flaw in that argument. The Islamic fundamentalist who has managed to produce a plastic explosive which can go undetected by sniffer dogs had probably got his Masters degree in chemistry at university Oxbridge.

john bunyan 10:03 04 Oct 2014

Another tragic murder. This article is worth a read:

ISIS HQ

I believe there should be an immediate and massive air attack on Raqqa . The USA would have to do it as it is in Syria, but these people must be taught a severe lesson, immediately, followed by the suggestions in the link.

namtas 10:14 04 Oct 2014

**I suppose the start of the Uk bombing raids was probably the cause of the latest killing of support worker. It never took a genius to figure out this was going to happen.**

You are implying that if we had not bombed then this latest killing would not have happened.

In that case why did they murder the first hostage ?

spuds 10:33 04 Oct 2014

"In that case why did they murder the first hostage ?"

Because life is cheap (to some), no matter what side you belong.

I wonder how many people still think or even remember a British soldier Lee Rigby being slaughtered on the streets of Woolwich in 2013 , when these new slaughters take place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP's ZBook Firefly is a genuine MacBook Pro rival

Megan Thee Stallion's Aeon Flux-inspired music video is the perfect lockdown tonic

iPhone hackers have had access to iOS 14 'since February'

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans