To aid or not to aid

namtas 16:26 11 Feb 2014
Answered

The Daily Mail has today launched a petition requesting that the UK government divert more of its £11 billion foreign Aid budget towards emergency use her in the UK.

I agree, and whilst not knowing the full story behind the need or use all of the aid sent overseas, I feel that quite often we appear to be more wiling to help others before our own.

oresome 13:24 15 Feb 2014

The management of the Mail has its own agenda, which is to sell as many copies of the paper as possible...

An agenda not confined to the Mail surely.

namtas 13:27 15 Feb 2014

The management of the Mail has its own agenda, which is to sell as many copies of the paper as possible

Isn't that what what all business inspire to do? isn't that part of being successful in business? Please explain which part of this is so incorrect or unacceptable?

With regards to the petition, like it or not, and whether is is a manipulative or a cynical ploy matters not, it has polarizing people and given them a voice which appears to be having results.

With regards to Foreign aid, anyone who really believes that it is always used efficiently and with no waste or corruption is living in a Walter Mitty world. I believe that for one reason or another millions of pounds of UK money is wasted and misused annually.

namtas 13:31 15 Feb 2014

No it wouldn't, the Mail would be blowing its own trumpet as usual and claiming that it alone had won a major victory for the flood victims.

Good PR and Marketing my friend, it happens every day.

bumpkin 14:42 15 Feb 2014

namtas, Good PR and Marketing my friend, it happens every day. Exactly, that is why the Mail is successful, tell them what they want to hear.

namtas 14:51 15 Feb 2014

that I or anyone else has suggested that all aid reaches those in need of it.

so this suggests that you agree that all aid does not reach those in need. Thank you, we at last agree on one point.

With regards to strawmen I think others will have already decided

namtas 14:54 15 Feb 2014

Good PR and Marketing my friend, it happens every day. Exactly, that is why the Mail is successful, tell them what they want to hear.

Congratulations you have successfully taken in the first lesson in successful marketing.

namtas 15:04 15 Feb 2014

I am going to drop out of this discussion before it deteriorates further it is all becoming a bit futile and pointless.

bumpkin 15:52 15 Feb 2014

namtas, that is a shame, I was hoping for a second lesson on bullshit.

Forum Editor 16:48 15 Feb 2014

namtas

I'm sorry to say this, but based on what you've written I believe you really are incredibly naive.

Of course all businesses aspire to make money, but if you can't see the glaringly obvious difference between a national newspaper and a company that sells widgets I'm afraid there's little point in debating this any further.

As for your comment that "I believe that for one reason or another millions of pounds of UK money is wasted and misused annually."

That's stating the obvious, of course money is wasted, but cutting our foreign aid budget is hardly the way to address it. We might make a start at home before blaming others.

oresome 17:26 15 Feb 2014

I'm sorry to say this

In most cases where this phrase is used I doubt the sincerity of the apology, but the FE may well be the exception.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The art projects making this 2019 General Election more bearable

Funny things to ask Siri

Test : LIZ, la bouteille connectée française de NOERDEN