Advice please

  scarecrow-bill 21:27 28 Mar 2010

I have neighbor who has an oil fired boiler that seems to have a few problems.
I have tried to contact direct with no luck.
His landlord has also tried.
The boiler will let out clouds of black smoke and can be heard 2 doors down when in use.
The landlord seems unable to contact there tennant to arrange repair and appears to have given up.
I'm not sure how safe this boiler is but does not look or sound good. (should say boiler is in an outhouse)
Where can I go with this as the landlord has been no help.

  canarieslover 21:30 28 Mar 2010

I would be inclined to ask The Fire Brigade for advice.

  spuds 21:43 28 Mar 2010

Regarding smoke and noise, then its an environmental issue, so try your local council for help.

  scarecrow-bill 22:19 28 Mar 2010

Thanks canarieslover and spuds that is sound advice.
I will contact both during office hours on monday.

  Woolwell 22:27 28 Mar 2010

As far as I am aware, unlike gas, there isn't a legal requirement for a landlord to have a safety certificate for an oil-fired boiler.
Thew 2 routes that I would follow are Oftec click here and your local council (environment health and building regs).

  birdface 09:43 29 Mar 2010

If your neighbour is no longer about or you have not seen him recently maybe give the police a ring and tell them your concerns and they will send someone to check that they are all right.

  Quickbeam 09:50 29 Mar 2010

I think a report to the fire brigade suggesting concern over possible high carbon monoxide levels will get the relevant people into action.

  Quickbeam 09:54 29 Mar 2010

I think in such cases the fire brigade will have right of entry to investigate.

I also think the landlord should use his access rights to enter. A death by CO poisoning will find him responsible if he doesn't repair such a device asap from the first report of the fault.

  Quickbeam 10:02 29 Mar 2010

I've just spoken to a corgie registered plumber friend, he says any boiler with a burn/exhaust fault can be condemned and sealed up until it's fixed.

  johndrew 10:16 29 Mar 2010

We had oil fired central heating in our last place and found it very reliable. But if the pump or regulator fail to operate correctly the system will over-fuel giving the symptoms you describe. There is also a chance the burner may give some problems also. The main results are excessive fuel consumption, noise and smell/pollution.

The problem should be relatively easy to diagnose but may be a bit expensive to fix. However a good engineer should be capable of testing and diagnosing any fault in very short order.

  Quickbeam 10:43 29 Mar 2010

another friend put a solid fuelled AGA (I know, retro geek) into an old Victorian terraced villa. She vented it into the original shared chimney breast, and fired it up in the morning. It went nicely all day, heated up, baked some scones etc. Anyway, after six she noticed a commotion next door, emergency gas fitter, then the fire brigade, then the fire brigade at her door.

Apparently the old shared chimney, unused for decades was leaking fumes into next door setting the CO alarms off in a frenzy in every room.

The result of that was that she was ordered to shut the AGA down by the fire brigade and it wasn't allowed to be restarted until a flexible flue liner was fitted into the chimney and it was checked by a heating engineer and approved by the fire brigade.

So, I think the fire brigade will definitely take a faulty boiler seriously.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 9 Lite review

18 Best Adult Colouring In Books 2018

HomePod review

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2018)