Advent training course

muscic lover 14:46 29 Aug 2007

I have heard that ADVENT computer training is very good. the course that I want will take me through the A+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA and eventually MSCE certified.

The cost quoted (all in) was £4750.

Does anybody think this is excessive? The cost covers for the training, tools, days at thier training Centre, and even a 'job finding' service.

Si_L 15:21 29 Aug 2007

Not sure how it compares to other training course, but think of it as an investment. It sounds like a lot of money, but if it only boosts your salary by a grand each year, then you will have made it all back quickly.

The more qualifications you have too, the more options it will give you also. I think that it will pay for itself, so I wouldn't worry too much about the price.

techie4me 15:31 29 Aug 2007

It does depend on how good you are at IT in the first place.
What is the time scale to get these 5 qualifications?
Are you taking a loan out with them?

muscic lover 08:55 30 Aug 2007

How good am I at IT? Hmmmmm

Well I passed my ECDL first go on each of the modules and enjoy 'toying' with my Laptop applications and have a good interest in Pc (my wife would say too much!!).

I help others with PC problems....

I am not taking out a loan, more like using some savings...

I am a qualified nurse and want a totally different career now - (I still enjoy nursing though).

wolfie3000 09:20 30 Aug 2007

Sorry to go a little off topic but music lover have you ever played Gunz online?

I did a short stint in a clan called rough justice and there was a guy in the clan called music lover who had computer qualifications.

just wondering.

wolfie3000 09:24 30 Aug 2007

scartch that clan name i havent slept in over 18 hours the clans name was eternal justice, must have got confused by the other thread lol.

Si_L 11:07 30 Aug 2007

18 hours!?!? Go to sleep man!

techie4me 11:21 30 Aug 2007

It's a steep learning curve going from ECDL to the qualifications you want to do.
Why not try to see if your local FE College runs any courses like A+ or Cisco IT Essentials 1 & 2.
Then you can see if you like learning IT a lot cheaper than splashing out over £4k.

Even with all those qualifications you may find it hard getting a job, as practical experience is what a lot of employers want these days.

A+ would give you a benchmark on how well you learn IT.
And you could then gauge if you want to go ahead with the large outlay of Money

It’s just my view & others may disagree but it’s the way I got into IT.
IT Essentials 1 & 2 followed by CompTIA A+ and other Cisco & CompTIA qualifications.

laurie53 20:53 30 Aug 2007

Advent course?

I clicked thinking it was a course on the run up to Christmas!

zant 11:50 03 Sep 2007

techie4me is spot on. Having lectured at Techs I know that nurses because of their discipline are excellent students, but home learning does not suit everyone. See what your local Tech has to offer, and even talk with a NHS career advisor because they employ a great deal of IT people, and may welcome a qualified nurse to retrain and may even underwrite your training. There are nurses and there are IT people but not many combined, I believe this dual skill would make you rather special. Whatever you decide, good luck and best wishes.
A final thought if you decide on the home training route, establish carefully their telephone helplines are not 0845 or 0870 because they are expensive and a percentage of the cost goes to the owner.

techie4me 13:06 03 Sep 2007

May be you need a different view on what to go for etc.
Have a look @ www://click here these guys should be able to advise you a lot better!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)