Advanced warning of forum maintenance, this Sunday 3 November

Matt Egan 16:08 31 Oct 2013

Hi all - just a bit of advanced warning. This Sunday, 3 November, our data-hosting partner will be installing a Service Pack from 9am. They have promised us it will be done as quickly as possible, and will be completed by no later than 3pm. They've also promised to minimise the impact on the forum. But it is possible that you will experience the login issues we've had on some previous Sundays. We of course apologise for any inconvenience. It is essential maintenance, I'm afraid. The price we pay for being so successful! Thanks for your patience. And if you want to know anything further, or you have any further problems, you know how to find me (either on this forum or at [email protected]).

Thanks again.

Matt

chub_tor 16:39 31 Oct 2013

Thanks for letting us know, now I can take Sunday off.

Forum Editor 18:47 31 Oct 2013

chub_tor

You may find that if you have selected the 'keep me logged in' option you'll be OK, and even if you're not you can still enjoy a quiet browse through the rest of the site.

Aitchbee 20:16 31 Oct 2013

Thanks Matt for that kindly advice. This site is number one in my books... no kiddin'.

bumpkin 21:33 31 Oct 2013

To be informed of what is happening makes all the difference, if we are aware of the situation we can accept that. Not knowing what is going on is far worse.

bumpkin 22:15 31 Oct 2013

rdave I have explained this before, if you want email notifications make it clear that you do not want them under any circumstances then you will get all of them. Conversely If you don't want them keep asking for them and then you will not get any. Simple really.

Forum Editor 22:43 31 Oct 2013

rdave13

"That will sort out the lack of email notifications then

No, it won't. What's going to happen at the weekend concerns our data hosting partner, not our web server. Different aspects of the working of this site are handled in different ways, and on different servers.

The email notification thing is down to us, and most people don't seem to have a problem. I've raised it again with our development team.

Matt Egan 07:24 01 Nov 2013

How did we get on to the name of the site! I love the forum. You'll see that a lot of our pages are rebranded as 'Tech Advisor - Powered By PC Advisor' for that very reason. We have around 9.5 million readers these days, and roughly 60 percent of them are reading about things other than traditional x86 Windows laptops and desktops. To be honest they are reading about Personal Computers (tablets, smartphones etc), and having been around for nearly 20 years we are not kean to give away the venerable name of PC Advisor. But it is is true that we have taken small steps to re-articulate to new readers what they can expect from this site. (And if you look under the Advisor's drop down in the nav bar you will indeed find 'Tablet Advisor', 'Smartphone Advisor' etc.)

Matt Egan 07:26 01 Nov 2013

Oh, and if you haven't yet, check out our Tech Advisor blog. It's a bit of a passion project for the editors, a site where we write about consumer tech without the constraints of the history and values of the 'PC Advisor' marque: 1">[click here

Quickbeam 07:47 01 Nov 2013

"How did we get on to the name of the site!" Nothing's safe from thread deviation these days...

spuds 12:54 01 Nov 2013

To add to Jock1e's comment. The keep me logged in option doesn't always work for me, using Google Chrome. I have mentioned this on a number of occasions in the past?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique