ADSL Max trials

CurlyWhirly 22:27 17 Mar 2006

I intend on upgrading to it so that I may possibly be able to get a faster broadband speed than I have now.
I think I know why BT are rolling it out, in preparation for IP TV in the future.

Upgrading around 5300 exchanges as mentioned in click here must be expensive and if there are no plans to charge extra for the faster services then how do BT plan to get their investment back?

This is the link click here where I saw comments that no extra would be charged.

Will unlimited broadband packages (like mine) be scrapped in the future I wonder?

Perhaps BT plan on making ALL their broadband services capped ones?

CurlyWhirly 13:38 01 Apr 2006

That message was there ever since I first had broadband back in May 2003!

It is just highlighting the fact that there is already a broadband order on my line which is, of course, my existing broadband connection :)

Diemmess 13:53 01 Apr 2006

'Twas what I suspected!

John B 14:29 01 Apr 2006

There will be a regrade option on their website on Monday. £15 to do so.

CurlyWhirly 14:51 01 Apr 2006

Hi.

Just ignore that error message as like I said above that message was there before Max DSL was launched in fact going back to 2003 when I first had broadband :)

CurlyWhirly 13:33 02 Apr 2006

AOL says that by the end of April I will get the highest speed for my account. All AOL users will be upgraded by end of June.

I rang the AOL helpline (based in India) and they said that AOL Platinum members would be upgraded first and that would take up to 6 months and as I'm on the Gold package, I don't know how long I will have to wait to be upgraded?

I might change over to Zen as they offer a service (up to) 8 Mb using Max DSL and for only £24.99 which I'm paying now.

There is a 20 GB usage limit but that will be okay for me as I only use between 3 and 5 GB a month.

John B 17:16 03 Apr 2006

ADSL max. 20Gb download limit. £19.99 per month. £5 + VAT charge to regrade.

click here if anyone is interested?

CurlyWhirly 09:42 13 Apr 2006

"your link says I can have upto 4.5Mbs Max.I wont be going over as my 2Mb does all I require of it."

Well I will certainly be going for Max DSL as it won't cost me anymore money but I will be capped at 20 GB a month as I am migrating to Zen when my current 12 month contract is up with AOL.
This doesn't bother me as after monitoring my internet bandwidth I now know that I don't use more than around 5 GB a month so the caps won't affect me.

AOL are *not* going down the Max DSL route but are going for LLU instead.
This may sound okay but they can't even tell me if my exchange is to be upgraded so I expect they are 'cherry picking' the most profitable exchanges so I'm moving.

Chegs, I have *never* had any trouble with BT either phone wise or internet wise, so you must have been one of the unlucky ones.

Forum Editor 18:48 15 Apr 2006

moves to 8Mb on 25th April (my birthday), so I'll be a blur as I move through the forum after that.

I also use a Voyager 2110 router on my home network, so I'll be looking for that magic "seamless rate adaptation" option too.

Forum Editor 19:15 15 Apr 2006

whatsoever.

I'm having it specially tuned.

Forum Editor 19:36 15 Apr 2006

and order a gold one. It's been five years, and I'm due for a change.

Now, where's that Asprey's number?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)