ADSL Max trials

CurlyWhirly 22:27 17 Mar 2006

I intend on upgrading to it so that I may possibly be able to get a faster broadband speed than I have now.
I think I know why BT are rolling it out, in preparation for IP TV in the future.

Upgrading around 5300 exchanges as mentioned in click here must be expensive and if there are no plans to charge extra for the faster services then how do BT plan to get their investment back?

This is the link click here where I saw comments that no extra would be charged.

Will unlimited broadband packages (like mine) be scrapped in the future I wonder?

Perhaps BT plan on making ALL their broadband services capped ones?

CurlyWhirly 18:02 18 Mar 2006

Poor investment?

I think I read somewhere that BT are ploughing considerable money into broadband now as it has become so popular.

Anyway, I just went to click here abd typed in my telephone line and my status is green.
My exchange has already been upgraded but I will have to wait until the launch date (31/3/06) before I know one way or the other whether I can receive a faster broadband speed.

I don't expect that everyone will be able to be put on the new service on that date so I may have to wait many weeks or even months!

CurlyWhirly 21:19 18 Mar 2006

"So the BT upgrade is not really cutting edge when viewed globally"

I agree but these countries are probably using fibre optic networks as opposed to copper wiring which is all we have at the moment.

CurlyWhirly 19:24 19 Mar 2006

"What BT is currently using when they lay lines for a new housing estate - copper or fibre optics?"

Interesting question.
I would guess copper wiring due to the high cost.

CurlyWhirly 19:27 19 Mar 2006

"We should be up there with the best in the way of telephone/ broadband infrastructure because of our small island and their monopoly."

Totally agree with you there but I think I read an article somewhere that said that upgrading all existing infrastructure (i.e. POTS) is uneconomical for BT to carry out as it would cost many billions of pounds.

John B 05:43 01 Apr 2006

My exchange is now ADSL max enabled. How do I go about taking advantage of it?

My BB provider's site (f2s) still tells me I can only get up to a 2Mb connection?

CurlyWhirly 12:47 01 Apr 2006

I am on AOL and I was told yesterday that I could get on to Max DSL by requesting it on 'live help' and yet when I asked earlier on today if my request had been processed they said that I can ONLY get on to Max DSL by registering my request.

This is easier said than done as their telephone support is based in India and most of the time they haven't got a clue what you are on about! lol

I'm just going to wait and see until the 10 day 'bedding in' period is over by which time the rate-adaptive technology should have worked out what the maximum speed that my line will support?

When I went to click here and typed my telephone number into the checker I got this:

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 3Mbps or greater.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest."

I *may* be able to get a 3 Mb service using Max DSL.

CurlyWhirly 12:52 01 Apr 2006

p.s. this Max DSL business is very confusing IMHO as according to BT you have to ask to migrate to it and yet AOL say that it is automatic in which case why did a 'live help' agent say that I need to register in order to take advantage of it?

I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

Forum Editor 13:19 01 Apr 2006

is "poor" needs a bit of a reality check I think. In the UK we now have the highest level of broadband availability in the G8, and work's going on behind the scenes to hike speeds higher than they are at present.

It's very easy to sit in a chair and criticise BT, but ponder this before hammering away at the old keyboard:-

Our country has the oldest telephone network in the world, and much of it is in need of replacement. Countries that have invested late in the telecoms arena have leapfrogged technologies, and have been able to install more sophisticated networks, simply because they were starting from nothing. I've seen telephone kiosks in an African country that are connected directly to a satellite uplink - you can use your credit card to call anywhere in the world. The kiosk I used was by the side of a dirt road with an open sewer running alongside, and 90% of the local population had less than £5 a week to live on - I doubt that there were too many credit card calls made from it.

When criticising BT remember that the company is one of the world's leaders in telecoms development, it's just unfortunate that at home they're grappling with a network infrastructure that's just too old - it began its life in 1878 - and needs billions of pounds of investment, and it's getting it. The company has pumped £5billion into its internet access program over the past six years, and the IP network is now almost entirely fibre-optic.

Things could be better, they always can, but they could be a lot worse.

Diemmess 13:33 01 Apr 2006

Using your link CurlyWhirly...
and
Quoting from the end of that screen -

"There appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing DSL connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line."

Aol is my SP on a BT line and it works fine.
Do I need to be even slightly concerned by that message?

CurlyWhirly 13:35 01 Apr 2006

I had no idea that BT's telephone infrastructure dated from 1878 - over 120 years old!

In which case (as you say) BT have done a marvellous job in getting broadband technology to nearly everyone in the UK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?