Actually at a loss of sensible words for comment!

Brumas 13:04 03 Feb 2019
Answered
  Brumas 21:36 04 Feb 2019

beeuuem~2, when I started this post I naively thought this incident was a 'one off' - how wrong can one be?

Reading these articles makes me realise these people need help but, sadly they are blissfully unaware of the fact.

Forum Editor 09:26 05 Feb 2019

Society has always been made up of people with widely differing views - there's nothing new in that.

What has changed considerably is our attitude to such eccentricities. We have created an atmosphere in which it is OK not only to have an unconventional outlook on aspects of life, but to publicise them. No longer are people afraid of being stigmatised, simply because they think differently to the majority.

Such people aren't mentally ill as some suggest, they just hold different views - in some cases wildly different. As long as it does no harm to others, our lives need not be affected by these people.

Years ago, in the area where I live there used to be a man who drove around in a car that was sign-written as if it was associated with the NASA moon missions. He pretended that he was in some way part of the tracking team in communication with astronauts. I had a conversation with him once, and realised that he certainly wasn't mentally ill in the accepted sense. He spoke intelligently and lucidly about his subject, and although he was quite obviously a fantasist he was aware of the fact and didn't care. He was simply enjoying his harmless eccentricity.

Old Deuteronomy 10:05 05 Feb 2019

rickf Mental health problems know no bounds.

You can do better than that, joking about mental health problems is never funny.

Brumas 10:26 05 Feb 2019

Forum Editor,

I suppose that I could be classed as an harmless eccentric. After my nervous breakdown in 1995, I was medically retired and have never worn a wristwatch since yet I seem to have 6 or 7 clocks around the house, not to mention the digital clocks on the microwave and oven. I generally have the same amount of calendars - I seemingly have a fixation with the passage of time although I am blissfully ignorant of the fact!

Quickbeam 11:03 05 Feb 2019

Check your degree of eccentricity here...

Does anyone claim to be exempt!

1]: [click here

HondaMan 11:11 05 Feb 2019

I'm at a loss for PRINTABLE words especially with FE around, but seriously, how daft can it get?

Aitchbee 11:34 05 Feb 2019

How daft can it get? Off subject but it has now become the norm for some sad, mixed-up individuals to be referred to as they or them ... can't get my head around that one. It defies logic.

Forum Editor 15:06 06 Feb 2019

"I'm at a loss for PRINTABLE words especially with FE around"

Really? That's a shame -I'm sure you could find some if you tried.

I suppose my issue is with people who seem ready to attach the 'mentally ill' label, just because someone exhibits odd behaviour or attitudes. A person who thinks that parents need a child's permission to change its nappy clearly isn't thinking it through - a child in nappies is hardly going to be able to give consent or otherwise - but it's not in itself an indication of mental illness by a very long way.

True mental illness is something that huge numbers of us will suffer from at some point during our lives, and it will almost certainly cause distress - both for the sufferer and for his/her family and friends. Best not to joke about something that could well be just around the corner.

We have had people in this forum who posted happily for years, and without any warning suddenly exhibited the early signs of dementia. In one case I was contacted by the spouse of a person who was clearly becoming ill, and I agreed to terminate the affected person's registration. I was saddened by it, and perhaps it had a greater effect on me than I realised at the time.

Perhaps that's why I'm a bit touchy on the subject. My apologies if I seem so.

qwbos 00:48 07 Feb 2019

What has changed considerably is our attitude to such eccentricities. We have created an atmosphere in which it is OK not only to have an unconventional outlook on aspects of life, but to publicise them. No longer are people afraid of being stigmatised, simply because they think differently to the majority.

I'd go further. Life for many appears to be dominated by (anti) social media and "reality" television where freaks (for want of a better word) generate big and easy money for the owners of the platforms. Facebook made just under $7 billion in the last quarter of 2018 and a cursory look at television programming shows that 'odd' sells programs.

Forum Editor 14:13 07 Feb 2019

"....a cursory look at television programming shows that 'odd' sells programs."

There's a theory that we all like to learn that there are people out there who have even odder attitudes to life than those we have ourselves. It reassures us to know that we aren't that odd after all.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review

Butcher Billy's Black Mirror artwork is coming to vinyl for the first time

Is the Apple Store down? What's Apple launching?

Comment modifier le DPI d’une souris ?