Aches and pains in us older folk!

spuds 11:50 17 Oct 2015
Answered

And perhaps some of our not so older folk as well.

Perhaps most of us have lived an outside life, when weather conditions didn't make much difference. And usually with that came the warning, that in older life, you might regret it!.

Going on a number of accounts and occasions, it's very evident that some of our forum members suffer from joint aches and associated problems, even disabilities, that can make a routine day for most, into something much lesser desired, due to possible limitations et al.

There are many products advertised, like Omega 3, Glucosamine Sulphate, various vitamin supplements etc. But as any one found that these things do actually work.

Take for instance, I was reading up from a well known manufacturer's advertising literature, that their particular product may take at least three months before any 'improvement' is made. And the product isn't cheap.

So open invite, what does the audience think, and perhaps more so, what might you suggest in helping to resolve some of those every day aches and pains, that might seem normal, or "have to put up with it" to some of us?.

Forum Editor 12:26 17 Oct 2015

I'm interested in this.

I had surgery for a crushing injury to my left foot around 3 years ago. At the time, I was warned that down the line I may develop arthritis as a result of the trauma.

Sure enough, I started to get pain in the knee three months ago, and that has now been diagnosed as osteoarthritis. I get quite a bit of pain if I have a busy day walking around, and at the moment I have been advised that the best painkiller in my case is paracetamol.I'm concerned about the effects of long-term paracetamol use and I'm searching for other ways to manage the condition.

I've seen all kinds of claims for all kinds of products, but I don't know what to try. My instinctive reaction is to think that if there was something good out there my GP(who is fairly young, and very much on the ball) would know about it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:34 17 Oct 2015

Lots of quack remedies out there and some home treatments are a bit crazy too.

A mate of mine used to spray his dodgy knee with WD40 but has now had it replaced.

But on a more serious note - Perhaps a good read here will help you decide.

wee eddie 14:52 17 Oct 2015

I have had arthritis encroaching on my fingers, hips and knees for a while now. In order to keep on Curling I downed a cocktail of pills and herbs.

However, a couple of years back, my scepticism got the better of me and I stopped taking them. Well I still drop a multivitamin every day. Since then I have noticed no increase/decrease in pain/stiffness, or any other change in body functions, for that matter.

Aitchbee 15:32 17 Oct 2015

I injured my left arm [at the shoulder and elbow] quite badly a few months ago whilst dragging a heavy shopping-trolley full of compost and having seen my GP, now await for a scan to be taken at local hospital. Consequently, I now take Naproxen and Co-Codamol instead of Ibuprofen to help relieve pain. I have just had to learn to compensate by using my other arm instead [where possible] and just hope that things improve. ...it's funny how a new painful condition relegates any other ones 'to-the-back-burner' for a while.

Nontek 15:44 17 Oct 2015

FE

I have been taking Co-Codamol for about ten years now, maybe longer, it, along with other medication has/is keeping me alive, with no ill effects. I should have been deceased several years ago, but am now approaching 81yrs and still here after a severe stroke, at least two heart attacks and heart failures among other things. I am registerred disabled, can only walk at most 10-15 metres but the aforementioned medication does appear to be doing what it says on the tin! I do suffer bouts of severe pain but these are becoming increasingly further apart and less intensive of late - my latest prognosis from the hospital consultants is that I may have until Christmas with a bit of luck, but I still feel as if, and expect to be, still here another year or two, or three! Who knows!!

Nontek 16:01 17 Oct 2015

If I could edit my above Post I would remove the word other from line two!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 17 Oct 2015

Some medicines will interfere with you ability to do certain tasks (may cause drowsiness) and care must be taken with their use.

I find whiskey is a good pain killer, taken in moderation and purely for medicinal purposes of course :0)

Graham* 16:11 17 Oct 2015

Go ahead, edit your post.

Forum Editor 16:50 17 Oct 2015

Nontek

Reading your post made me feel a bit of a wimp for complaining. Apart from my dodgy knee I am - according to my GP - in good health.

I've made that text change for you.

Forum Editor 16:54 17 Oct 2015

Sir Mistoffelees

I find that a soak in a hot bath helps, as does gentle exercise....up to a point. If I walk just that bit too far or climb a hill, I pay for it. My doctor told me that exercise is good and I act on that advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)