Accident that was destined to happen?

rickf 21:36 19 Mar 2018
  wee eddie 22:39 19 Mar 2018

Nothing new arrives fully formed.

Yes, it was inevitable, as was Challenger 13. It is part of the development process

LastChip 22:49 19 Mar 2018

"Nothing new arrives fully formed."

I agree, but you can't go around killing people on the assumption that something needs further development.

I have to say, I think the people that are developing artificial intelligence are trying to take it too far too fast.

Their bosses know that "first to the market" will be a massive advantage and sometimes, that leads to caution going out of the window.

From this example, it's clearly not fail safe and it should be.

bumpkin 22:59 19 Mar 2018

, it's clearly not fail safe and it should be.

Nothing ever is and how many are killed by human operated vehicles.

Archie44 00:05 20 Mar 2018

i thought these vehicles had automatic braking systems with sensors run by some kind of computer chip. But i guess i was wrong

Menzie 00:33 20 Mar 2018

Unfortunately AI cannot account for humans. Humans do stupidly unpredictable things and there are cues we can pick up on that machines won't.

Case in point the other day while in traffic a driver (and I use that term loosely) who was in a BMW X5. We were on a three lane road and he was weaving in and out of traffic.

I saw him in my mirror almost collide with the car behind as he switched lanes without indicating or anything and almost collided with that car. He weaved again and floored it then swerved in front of me. Thankfully I saw the shenanigans behind me and was going below the speed limit. When he pulled in front of me he almost tore off the front of my vehicle. Had I not hit the brake and the person behind not been a reasonable distance there would have been an accident.

He then proceeded to cut off a lorry, thankfully that wasn't going fast either as he went side to side in his lane as if he couldn't make his mind up where he was going.

An autonomous vehicle simply can't spot this and predict impending stupidity.

While not sure of the events that have caused this accident. I'm sure more will surface. So far all these accidents have been caused by human error. Like the lorry driver who backed into one in Vegas expecting that if he got too close the motorist behind would blow their horn.

beeuuem~2 02:46 20 Mar 2018

What was the 'vehicle operator' doing when this happened?

Quickbeam 04:54 20 Mar 2018

Who's responsible?

Forum Editor 08:19 20 Mar 2018

Who's responsible?

There was a vehicle operator in the car, so on the face of it he/she was responsible. That's an opinion based on an assumption, rather than fact and it would be a good idea not to make the kind of assertive allegation that I have just deleted until a lot more information is available.

Self-driving cars are a fact, the technology is not going to go away. Like all new technologies, it will be refined over time and there's a legitimate argument which says that the refinement should not take place on public roads.

The other side of the argument says that it is only possible to improve the technology by operating self-driving cars in a real-life environment, and I can see the logic of it.

When rail and air travel was in its early days, hundreds of people were killed. Lots of people died when early cars first took to the roads, and many thousands of people are still being killed in road accidents - caused not by cars, but by the people who drive them. Self driving cars are, in theory, much safer but they depend entirely on the technologies which see what's coming. The interaction between the vehicle's sensors and its steering and braking is critical, and that's where there is obviously a lot of work still to be done.

carver 09:26 20 Mar 2018

One thing that bothers me is the claim that driverless cars can be hacked, this has been demonstrated a couple of time. What will happen when they try out driverless trucks that are in a convoy, hack one you hack them all, could cause a major pileup on a motorway.

Forum Editor 09:34 20 Mar 2018

carver

Yes, it's an obvious worry, and there's no easy answer. The people who handle software security for these vehicles are going to have to come up with some serious security measures, or forget about wireless technologies altogether.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?