90% of Britons think the UK's Brexit negotiations

Quickbeam 17:44 20 Mar 2019

...have humiliated the country

I'm only surprised that the figure quoted is so low!

Forum Editor 15:06 21 Mar 2019

According to The House of Commons Information office, MPs have three main duties. They are to 1. Their constituents, 2. Parliament and 3. their party in that order.

What has happened recently is that many MPs appear to have decided that they know better than their constituents, and that has led them to ignore duties 1. and 3. and vote for what they vaguely describe as 'The interests of the nation'.

Their arrogance is breathtaking - there was me, thinking that the nation is made up of millions of constituents and that the nation voted by a majority to leave the EU.

If I discovered that my MP was voting against the wishes of a majority of my fellow constituents I would know what to do, come election time. MPs are elected representatives, they can be unelected at the drop of a ballot paper.

john bunyan 15:06 21 Mar 2019

* So what right does anybody have to dispute the result?*

Too late now but I think that for such an important constitutional change a "super majority" of, say 2/3 rds should have been part of the vote. As it is, and as the vote was not based on constituencies, and Scotland and NI voted to remain , we are in a mess. I agree that a second referendum is undesirable, but one may ensue should a long delay happen. Clearly the ERG , I suspect, who virtually favour a hard Brexit, are comfortable with Barnier saying that an extension will only be granted if the Deal goes through next week, but that group does not have the backing of Parliament as a whole. Whatever happens with the Divorce , clearly a cross party group is needed to discuss the on - going customs arrangements , if the Government lasts that long, or the same arguments will go on and on.

john bunyan 15:33 21 Mar 2019

Forum Editor

they can be unelected at the drop of a ballot paper.

Not easily! If one favours a "All Nation" Tory or a centre left Labour candidate , because primary voting does not happen, where a party will offer a few candidates to pick from, one is stuck with a candidate that is elected by a handful of Local Party members. At the moment for example , Momentum are trying to deselect center left folk and imposing Hard left "Marxists". Similarly people like Bone and Chope are put in safe Tory seats.

I know that one could join a Party , but most of us don't and vote for the Party with the Manifesto that we like. I have not always voted for the same Party.

I have actually written to my local MP, an ERG member, saying I won't vote for her if she thwarts May's deal. No reply to e mail,and , to me, a Corbyn style Labour government is a frightening prospect, so in effect I am forced to vote for a candidate I don't want!

qwbos 17:02 21 Mar 2019

Too late now but I think that for such an important constitutional change a "super majority" of, say 2/3 rds should have been part of the vote

That's simplistic to the point of idiocy.

ALL elections are important. The UK joined the EEC through the party in power led by Heath. When Wilson came to power, he wanted to leave and could have done so as the elected leader of the party in power. He chose the referendum route and lost. Heath didn't have a 2/3 majority to join and the Wilson referendum didn't have a 2/3 majority to stay. The current situation is that the UK has ended up in an EU that NOBODY voted to join.

The current mess has little to do with May. No matter who had been in her position, the situation would be much the same. It's the shared responsibility of the intransigent EU and those MPs, whose arrogance in ignoring the wishes of their constituents, beggars belief. You can say that the vote wasn't measured on a constituency basis till the cows come home, but that doesn't alter the simple fact that each and every MP knows exactly how their constituents voted and should be obeying their wishes.

All MPs should have been working towards the best deal possible from the moment the result of the referendum was known.

Quickbeam 17:38 21 Mar 2019

"All MPs should have been working towards the best deal possible from the moment the result of the referendum was known."

Yes, and if that was the case, I doubt that we'd be still deeply divided, but knowing what outcome we'd be expecting next week. As it is now, we may not even know what is going to happen a week Friday!

Worra mess...

Quickbeam 17:42 21 Mar 2019

And after last night's address by May, the general consensus on it is that she's made another monumental blunder of judgement.

She's not very good at judging the will of the people and uniting them... is she?

wee eddie 17:57 21 Mar 2019

There is no way of uniting "the people".

Quickbeam 18:00 21 Mar 2019

Not now there ain't!

Forum Editor 18:12 21 Mar 2019

"She's not very good at judging the will of the people and uniting them...."

The will of the people, as expressed in the referendum was to leave the EU - no need for any judgment to realise that. Having expressed their will, the people understandably left it to the government to implement their decision, which would undoubtedly have been taken care of by now, had we had a government with a working majority in the Commons.

As it is, we have witnessed politically-motivated mayhem, as rebel and opposition MPs jostle for power and make no mistake, it is about that, however much some of them try to say otherwise. Theresa's premiership will end if she loses one more vote in the Commons, and there seems to be no sign that she will win the next one.

We'll have another Prime Minister who will be faced with exactly the same intractable problems in his/her search for a new deal. There is no new deal, and it is about time MPs realised it and got on with the job of getting us out, so we can all get on with running our lives and our businesses.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Camera Phones 2019

Adobe reveals Recolor for Illustrator - change an illustration instantly with real-world tones

Apple recalls wall plugs over safety fears, find out if you are affected

Rappel de sécurité Apple : adaptateurs avec prise murale