50 years ago when asked how he would describe

Quickbeam 09:11 22 Mar 2019

...their Black Sabbath sound, Ozzy Osbourn casually replied, "it's a sort of heavy metal sound".

The rest is history...

I was in this audience. Now it's all far too noisy for me!

Quickbeam 09:14 22 Mar 2019

In fact I couldn't tell you I saw in it now, bloody racket... sounding like my dad now.

Belatucadrus 14:10 22 Mar 2019

Back in the day Sheffield city hall regularly made holes in my student grant, That's where I saw Ozzie on the Blizzard of Ozz tour after he got booted out of Sabbath. Bloody marvellous they were.

Quickbeam 15:03 22 Mar 2019

Can you still listen to metal?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 22 Mar 2019

Now it's all far too noisy for me!

turn the hearing aids off, Floyd, Zepplin, Sabbath, Deep Purple + a noisy job in the late sixties / seventies have left me needing a hearing boost.:0)

Belatucadrus 17:06 22 Mar 2019

Can you still listen to metal?

Hell yes, once infected there is no cure. I do however avoid the live stuff as I have no intention of aggravating my tinnitus. Some of those guys were LOUD. I have always aggravated some dyed in the wool metalheads by insisting on liking other stuff like classical, MOR and big band jazz. Got no time for extremists that can only listen to one thing.

Forum Editor 10:04 23 Mar 2019

"Got no time for extremists that can only listen to one thing."

People who really love music will agree, but the truth is that when you are young you are likely to identify strongly with one particular musical genre. Later on in life you will still like 'your' music, but your tastes will probably have broadened.

As for loudness, I was warned back in the day that standing in front of a big Marshall amp when we played the blues (not too well) in village halls etc. all over the Surrey and Hampshire areas that I was damaging my hearing, and the prophesy is finally coming true. Eventually I will need hearing aids - my wife calls it Fender Stratitis.

Quickbeam 18:58 25 Mar 2019

After 20 years of being out of metal, I'm just listening to Sabbath's Paranoid album for the 4th time since posting this, I think I've successfully rediscovered metal!

Yes it's dated, but then so am I, but it was new music the first time I played it...

Belatucadrus 19:33 25 Mar 2019

Good call, the cover art to Paranoid was always a bit weird, an out of focus swordsman wearing what appears to be pink Damart thermolactyl longjohns and a motorcycle helmet.

Currently playing Fairies Wear Boots.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans