3D or not 3D that is the question?

Legolas 13:19 16 Mar 2010

I am a bit bewildered (nothing new there then I hear you cry)concerning the hype around 3D technology. I went to see Avatar at my local IMAX cimema and it was OK the 3D effects were interesting, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about, is anyone else of the same opinion?

Is 3D just a flash in the pan, is it with us to stay or is it just a marketing ploy?

mr simon 00:52 17 Mar 2010

"I went to see Avatar at my local IMAX cimema and it was OK the 3D effects were interesting, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about, is anyone else of the same opinion? "

The 3D effects on Avatar were the only thing that stopped me walking out.

DANZIG 09:11 17 Mar 2010

I was in my local pc store last week in Halifax and they had Resident Evil 5 running in 3d on one of their PC's. The glasses I had to wear fit perfectly over my own specs and were very light and comfy. The effect was amazing. It seemed to work from every angle as well.

interzone55 09:20 17 Mar 2010

I strongly feel that 3D is just another flash in the pan.

Yes they technology is better than it used to be, but it's still a gimmick to bring people into the cinema and (eventually) sell more TVs.

I'd like to see a comparison of the number of tickets sold for Avatar and Titanic, and at least 3/4 of the tickets sold for Avatar have been at premium price for 3D & Imax presentations.

I tend to avoid films that are over-hyped, so I've not seen either Titanic or Avatar, so cannot comment on the cinematic merits of either...

Legolas 18:50 17 Mar 2010

I agree that the only thing 'different' about avatar was the 3D

alan14
I would never had seen the movie had it not been a Chrismas present from my brother, like you I tend to avoid hyped up movies.

iqs 18:55 17 Mar 2010

I hope the film and TV industry don't go over board with 3D.It may improve the experience ,but do we really want to view everything in 3D?
Its nice to have the option of viewing the film in 3D & 2D,like Avatar.Lets hope this will apply in the future.

Avatar did look impressive in 3D,I tried to duck out of way when the smoke grenades came towards me.........

Legolas 19:01 17 Mar 2010

I do agree it did look impressive but I rate it more of a gimmick than anything else I would hate to have to view everything in 3D

carver 07:14 18 Mar 2010

I might be mistaken but have a read of this click here or this click here

anchor 09:01 18 Mar 2010

Flash in the Pan?? - possibly.

Forget those old red and green glasses, I recall films like "House of Wax" that used Polaroid glasses; this retained the full colour, (although you had to keep you head upright). It was predicted that there would be a 3D revolution; but this never came.

I suspect the same will be true of the new technology.

Kevscar1 09:06 18 Mar 2010

Wait until you get to 4D when your are sitting on a cushion and you can feel the rumble of the earthquake you are watching. Followed no doubt by 5 D when you will be able to smell what the actor has just trod in.

carver 09:58 18 Mar 2010

I allready have 5 D films now, it's when the film is so bad you think to youself "what a load of xxxx"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?