39 people were shot dead by a terrorist

Forum Editor 10:20 01 Jan 2017

in a Turkish night club last night, bringing the total number of terrorist-related killings in Turkey in one year to over 200.

An IS supporter is blamed for the killings, and is now on the run.

It makes me wonder what kind of mind-set it takes to walk into a crowded nightclub and start firing indiscriminately into the people there, all in the name of a religious belief.

Time after time we see instances of this kind, and on each occasion I struggle to understand how anyone can believe that their so-called god could possibly approve of such mindless violence in his name. We are obviously witnessing the results of poorly-educated, gullible people being callously manipulated by extremist religious leaders, and yet there seems to be little the wider world can do about it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:36 01 Jan 2017

We are obviously witnessing the results of poorly-educated, gullible people being callously manipulated by extremist religious leaders.

Look how long it took us to get rid of [one of these do called religious leaders] 1. It seems we have tied our own hands in these matters.

Is it in the name of religion or are they out for their own version of power?

Forum Editor 12:30 01 Jan 2017

"Is it in the name of religion or are they out for their own version of power?"

Look at the numerous instances of religious cults gaining ground by attracting young people, eager to find a 'solution' to some of life's problems, and you'll have a good idea of how -relatively- simple it is to convert people to a cause that offers something they can't get in their everyday lives.

IS is no different in many respects - it offers something to young people (mainly young men) who are led to believe that Allah wants them to kill non-believers. What kind of perverted thinking leads the radicals to think that their deity wants everyone either to become a follower or die can only be imagined, but that's what the aim is. IS recruits are taught to glorify in the killing of anyone who doesn't follow their god, and the teachings of their extremist clerics.

It is all deeply offensive to ordinary Muslims, but fear seems to deter lots of them from openly condemning the actions of the relatively few extremists. It appears - so far - to be a problem without a solution.

I believe that ultimately, the answer will come from education - education of women in particular. Women, I believe, hold the key. Muslim culture is male-dominated, and women are marginalised. They have hardly any voice, and are deprived of the education which would liberate them once and for all.

The liberation of Muslim women would open many doors.

caccy 14:24 01 Jan 2017

If the reports of these incidents did NOT include any mention of the group responsible would the lack of "advertising" reduce the attacks?

bumpkin 21:59 01 Jan 2017

The liberation of Muslim women would open many doors.

I entirely agree but if are not prepared to do so then what?

daz60 03:39 03 Jan 2017

Does your "extremist clerics" include extremist prophets.? All so called faiths have suffered their extremist points of view,some more bloody than others and politics is no different so is it really education ,are they really "illiterate" after all they can read the Quran/Bible/Torah.

Quickbeam 08:49 03 Jan 2017

"...are they really "illiterate" after all they can read the Quran/Bible/Torah."

The slanted interpretation by hate I think is the simple reason.

Forum Editor 10:37 03 Jan 2017

"so is it really education ,are they really "illiterate" after all they can read the Quran/Bible/Torah."

I don't think I inferred that anyone was illiterate. The problem is not illiteracy, it is the ability of radical clerics to radicalise young people, and instil in them the idea that the Quran advocates the killing of non-believers, when in fact the Quran does no such thing.

In that respect,Islam is being falsely represented by its radical adherents. The vast majority of ordinary Muslims would not dream of killing people, just because they are not followers of Islam.

Young people everywhere are, at some point in their upbringing, vulnerable to those who might try to influence their thinking; it's a natural part of growing up. Most of us rebel against established social values to some degree at some point, but we don't come into contact with extremist clerics - we may adopt the religious beliefs of our parents or our peers, or we may decide not to follow any particular faith.

Islam is a way of life as much as it is a religion, and young Muslims do not have the degree of freedom that Christians experience in their youth. Muslim girls are routinely denied the rights promised to them by Islam - they have less freedom of choice when it comes to education or participation in activities at home or school. A Muslim girl cannot reject her parents’ choice of a partner or insist on making her own choice.

Muslim women are dominated by men. Young Muslim men are vulnerable to being radicalised in conditions of secrecy - how many times have you read of this or that atrocity being committed by a radicalised Muslim male, only to read of his parents and wider family saying they had no idea of what was happening?

avesnes1 23:25 03 Jan 2017

Forum Editor. I don't think I inferred that anyone was illiterate. The problem is not illiteracy, it is the ability of radical clerics to radicalise young people, and instil in them the idea that the Quran advocates the killing of non-believers, when in fact the Quran does no such thing.

I don't think your statement is strictly correct. The following have been taken from Penguin Classics, “The Koran” translated by N. J. Dawood: Traditional chapter 47, entitled MOHAMMED, section 3 “When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield strike off their heads and, when you have laid them low, bind your captives firmly.”

Traditional chapter 8, entitled THE SPOILS, section 12 “Allah revealed His will to the angels, saying: ”I shall be with you. Give courage to the believers. I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, main them in every limb!”

Traditional chapter 2, entitled THE COW, section 190 “Fight for the sake of Allah those that fight against you, but do not attack them first. Allah does not love the aggressors. Kill them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you."

It seems to me that the Koran is giving rather confusing if not contradictory messages.

bumpkin 18:38 05 Jan 2017

39 people were shot dead by a terrorist

People all over the world are being murdered by those of that ilk.

We should be grateful for the work done by our security services rather than constantly whingeing about privacy issues.

Devil Fish 01:14 08 Jan 2017

you only have to look at the inquisitions albeit they were in the 12th century,but the catholic Church looked to extinguish.Heretics /Non believers and so history repeats.this time it is radical Islam want's to extinguish the Kufur /non believer.A battle that in my opinion will play out in various guises through out mankind's presence on this planet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

12 great UX design talks you can watch online

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2018)