3 Tory MPs quit to Independent Group.

rickf 11:49 20 Feb 2019

Has the tide began to flow??

geoff96 13:29 20 Feb 2019

No comment from the Daily Mails spokesperson?

Quickbeam 14:04 20 Feb 2019

Hot stuff...

Yesterday I wondered what common ground the two opposites would have, after listening to today's three, they have everything in common!

Both cite party bullying and high jacking as the main reasons.

And both suggest that dozens more will follow.

Who's bored with politics now?

rickf 14:23 20 Feb 2019

A shake up of our political system. A good thing.

john bunyan 14:40 20 Feb 2019

The left of the Tories and the right of Labour have found common ground as staunch Remainers. However they were all elected on their former Party’s manifestos which said the referendum result would be respected. The Hard Right of the Tories and the Momentum Left of Labour are, in effect Parties inside Parties. What I find curious is why this 11 group have not joined up with the Liberals , who are determined to frustrate the referendum result. Labour’s problem is that their leaders and policy is set by their conference, whereas the Tory PLP elect their leader

Quickbeam 14:57 20 Feb 2019

I don't think that they will want to be associated with the Libdems too closely as they too are set in their ways.

To be independent, they must remain independent of all the old baggage.

I've wanted electoral and parliamentary reform all my voting life, I never expected that the spark for change would happen in this way.

canarieslover 18:50 20 Feb 2019

Quickbeam We will only know if there is a genuine 'spark for change' after the next General Election. If these MP's keep their seats then perhaps their party will continue but at the moment it's a wait and see situation.

Quickbeam 19:06 20 Feb 2019

canarieslover

This is the spark, we now need to see if it ignites over the next few weeks.

But who would ever have thought that Tory and Labour defectors would find any kind of common ground? This just demonstrates the level of alienation that the big two have developed over the last 2 years with there heads up their where the sun dunt shines!

From little acorns great things grow...

qwbos 01:05 21 Feb 2019

This just demonstrates the level of alienation that the big two have developed over the last 2 years with there heads up their where the sun dunt shines!

There's been dissent in all parties as long as there's been politics, and not only in the UK. The only variation is how and where it gets reported.

Are these any different from previous defections? Aren't they more about personal egos than politics? Won't they just end up arguing amongst themselves as to who gets to sit at the head of their round table?

One of the things cited by the labour defectors is anti-semitism in the party, which appears, in the main, to be more anti Zionism/anti Israel. The snowflakes are everywhere.

Quickbeam 06:08 21 Feb 2019

"Are these any different from previous defections? "

Yes in that it's a cross party unifying defection.

On the anti Semite stuff, I live in the provinces and have no knowledge of this, I presume it's a London centric thing as all I hear of it is from there.

Quickbeam 06:16 21 Feb 2019

'Won't they just end up arguing amongst themselves as to who gets to sit at the head of their round table?'

On this I'm in the half full glass pub, if nobody tries anything, nothing will change. Unlike Brexit which to me is based on illogical pipe dreams, British adversarial politics is in need of logical reform, and has been since Lloyd George's time.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?