26.000 National Lottery Accounts hacked

Govan1x 09:05 30 Nov 2016
Answered

Over 26.000 lottery accounts hacked but they say no money has been taken out of the accounts yet.

They said they noticed movement in accounts which made them suspicious which would make me suspicious that they have already been in the accounts.

So if you pay on line you should already have been notified about the problem.

Click Here

Forum Editor 11:23 30 Nov 2016

A spokesperson said:

“We do not hold full debit card or bank account details in National Lottery players’ online accounts and no money has been taken or deposited."

It is believed that around 50 peoples' accounts have seen activity that wasn't them since the accounts were accessed. Whoever was responsible for this breach did not gain access to the core databases, so no risk to prize money payouts.

oresome 11:37 30 Nov 2016

The Tesco hack seemed to receive little attention considering the magnitude of the fraud. Probably the American elections helped push it down the page.

Quickbeam 11:44 30 Nov 2016

FE

I seem to recall a few years ago that you said that one of the reasons for the National Lottery site being off line overnight was that they spend a lot of time and money on site security and general maintenance to ensure that it protected from being compromised.

Forum Editor 12:32 30 Nov 2016

Quickbeam

That is indeed the case, which is why - so far - there are no reports of any money being taken. The Lottery site is structured in such a way that if anyone tried to take funds from a user account they would find that it's not there - those data are stored on different databases.

The deposits from users (i.e. purchase money from ticket sales) information is stored on different databases again.

There are over 9 million players registered for online accounts, and of those, 26,500 have had their account details compromised, although nobody has lost money. Camelot has suspended the accounts, and will contact each person to tell them that they need to change their passwords. No bank account details are held on the account database.

Fewer than 50 of the affected accounts have seen some activity since the hack, but this may have been the account holders themselves. No further activity can occur, because the accounts are in suspension, pending password changes.

I think that Camelot has done what it can in the circumstances, and no doubt some aspects of account security will be tightened up as a result.

Govan1x 12:38 30 Nov 2016

[We do not hold full debit card or bank account details in National Lottery players’ online accounts and no money has been taken or deposited.]

How do they manage to take the weekly or monthly payments from our bank accounts if they don't hold bank account details.

Actually it does not bother me any more because when they doubled the price of putting the lottery on I bailed out then.

They may still have my bank details though but as my bank card has been updated since then it would be harder to get into.

Forum Editor 12:40 30 Nov 2016
Answer

"How do they manage to take the weekly or monthly payments from our bank accounts if they don't hold bank account details."

Those details are held in separate databases. They are not in the account databases which were accessed in this incident.

Govan1x 12:41 30 Nov 2016

Oops should have read your post properly FE.

[No bank account details are held on the account database.]

Forum Editor 13:45 30 Nov 2016

Govan1x

Stay behind after school and do a hundred lines: 'I must read posts before responding'.

Come to think of it, do they do that in schools any more? It would probably be an infringement of some human right or other.

bumpkin 13:49 30 Nov 2016

[No bank account details are held on the account database.]

They would say that wouldn't they.

Forum Editor 14:05 30 Nov 2016

bumpkin

They say it because it's true. What would be the point of lying?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch