Zonealarm free/Mailawsher free/AVG free

SURVEY 17:14 26 Feb 2007

I am running these programs withot a hitch. Can somebody remind me why there was a recommendation some time ago that the 'Mailsafe' Email protection in Zonealarm should be turned off if using Mailwasher or perhaps AVG free? Was there a conflict identified?

Am I also correct that the general feeling is that Zonealarm Free version 6.1 should NOT be checked for updates?

Batch 09:19 27 Feb 2007

ZoneAlarm does not to be constantly kept up to date (unlike AVG).

Firewalls are static pieces of software that do not need updating unless there is something wrong with them. Most of the updates that are issued for ZA probably won't affect you, but you can always go onto the webssite and check the release notes: click here

BTW, the latest ZA does not support WinME/98, so if you are still running one of these, you definitely don't want to update.

Anti-virus software needs frequent updates (often daily or even several times a day) in order to be aware of the "signatures" of the latest threats.

SURVEY 09:24 27 Feb 2007

Batch - Now I do recall, one of the reasons not to update is because of Windows 98 that I run on a laptop. I believe also that there really is no need to update the firewall. Obviously AV progs etc needs updating!

I did understand at the time of installation of Zonealarm that there was a reference somewhere to switching off the 'Mailsafe' feature in Zonealarm as it was prone to conflict with Mailwasher or AVG. However, I switched it back on a few days ago with no apparent problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Designing a near-future Kowloon Walled City for Alita: Battle Angel

Microsoft brings Windows Defender ATP to the Mac

AirPower : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique