XPSP2 problems

hawthorn59 03:00 24 Aug 2004

Hi.

My automatic updates just d/loaded what I thanks is XP service pack 2. It must have taken about 5 hours. Anyway a few problems.Unfortunately I didnt see your warning about restore points until now! But why is there a big deal about XPSP2? I didnt know there weere going to be problems. Anyway:

1 There is now a Windows Security Centre icon in the bottom right area of the taskbar. I dont know whether this is meant to be or if its there only because of the message it has which is:

Firewall : On
Automatic Updates: On
Virus Protection: On. Norton Antivirus reports that it is installed, but its
status is unknown.

I have Norton set to scan weekly. This message never came before. What can I do and can I get rid of the Windows Security icon?

2 My e-mails in Outlook Express tonight wouldnt show any images. It told me some pictures were blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying my PC !

3 On this page: click here (which I use frequently) images just refused to load.

Also I think my PC is running slower!!!

I've now turned off popup-blocker but a lot of absent images on the site as well.

Everything seems to be a bit messy.

KC

rawprawn 09:39 24 Aug 2004

The Windows Security Icon is OK, it is just telling you it's staus click it and it will go away. It will only show when it has something new to tell you. Go into Control Panel and look at the Security Centre. I'm afraid I don't know about your other problems.

MIke 19:17 24 Aug 2004

My SP2 seems OK too. Just tried the link you supplied for IOL and its downloading fine, so I don't think SP2 is to blame. BTW I've noticed that pictures in e-mails downloaded with OE are blocked by default

hawthorn59 02:15 25 Aug 2004

I havent done any of the things suggested by all you good people yet, in fact I am just wondering if I should just remove SP2 as a good few people seem to be having some problems.

One reply told me that OE rejects pictures in emails, but this never happened till I installed SP2. Dont know whether that is good or bad!

Anyway still dont know what to do..!

KC

Forum Editor 07:07 25 Aug 2004

That's the reaction of the majority of people who have downloaded and installed SP2.

By default it will install itself smoothly, and detect your anti-virus and third-party firewall - if you have them installed. You can change the way that Windows handles these utilities by using the options in the new security centre.

My suggestion is that you allow some time to pass in order to familiarise yourself with the new features contained in SP2 - let it do its job. If after giving it a fair trial you decide to uninstall it you'll have no problems - just do it from the 'Add or remove programs' option in Control panel. Make sure you tick the box marked 'show updates' though, or you won't see SP2 listed.

CurlyWhirly 08:31 25 Aug 2004

Did you know about the following article where BT are scrapping distance limitations for the 512 kbps service at click here
on 6th September 2004?

Only a fortnight away!
I myself will be trying to upgrade to 1 mb service then as the range has been increased also.
CW

CurlyWhirly 08:35 25 Aug 2004

Here is where to order broadband from IF you are then able to get it once BT update their online checkers to take advantage of the new limits.
click here
CW

BurrWalnut 16:02 25 Aug 2004

SP2 slows down XP as it adds a number of extra services, most of which are not required. Have a look click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?