XP v Norton Goback v Partition Magic

xania 19:18 28 Mar 2005

I have a dual boot system running:

98SE has Systemworks 2003 plus Personal Firewall) and the entire system is backed up onto a spare partition at the end of the Hard Disk. The system and hardware drivers only resides on C:\ - all data and software reside on D:\ and E:\ respectively

XP has Systemworks 2005 plus Personal Firewall) and the entire system is backed up onto a spare partition at the end of the Hard Disk. Partitioning is as with SE and I have created Program Filesxp on E:\ complement E:\Program Files to allow for totloaly independant versions of all software.

Should I use XP restore points or Norton Goback to secure my working systm, or should I, as with SE, create a spare partition on my Hard Disk to store a copy of the working system.

Paranoid Android 23:16 28 Mar 2005

To be honest, I would say none of the above. The logic of backing up to the same disc drive escapes me completely, what happens if it fails ?

I would backup each partition as separate images to a second drive, preferably removable.

Marv.

goonerbill © ® 00:43 29 Mar 2005

would agree with Paranoid Android. get a external (or internal and get parts to make it external or invest in hard drive removeable rack) 20/40gb hard drive and partition it into 2 and use that for back-ups or burn back-ups to dvd of clean installs.

xania 09:10 29 Mar 2005

Yes - I forgot to mention 2 physical HD (40gb & 80gb) with the latter storing the system back-ups. This is still a fairly slow process, but I suppose I had hoped that the software solution would be a quicker alternative. I'll leave this open a little longer, but I go along with you both.

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?