XP upgrade to Win10 with USB issue

terrym 12:34 30 Dec 2016

Upgrading XP to Win10 & bought a legit Win 10 Home edition USB mem stick, supplied with Key, but I cant’ install via the required reboot as my BIOS does not list a USB option to set as priority to reboot. Motherboard is Phoenix Technologies ASUS Extreme Striker Rev 1305 dated 22/08/2017. Could I do a download install from MS using my Key? Also tried to copy mem stick to Dvd using Nero but one file was too large, over 2 Gb it cant handle. Any suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:54 30 Dec 2016

your hard drive must e FAt32 to be stuck with the 2G file size limit you need NTFS.

Open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd' To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs' So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

click here you can download and burn an iso file to DVD and use your key to install.

Burn-it 16:04 30 Dec 2016

Fruit Bat: read the question carefully before jumping to conclusions.

Also tried to copy mem stick to Dvd using Nero but one file was too large, over 2 Gb it cant handle

It has nothing to do with the file format on the source drive.

There IS a limit to the single file size that is allowed on a DVD

|The cd9660 filesystem can not handle files of more than 2147483647 bytes, |while the specification of the filesystem arguably allows for files up to |4294967295 bytes. (Specifically, the "32 bit quantity" is not specified as |signed or unsigned. In my opinion, since negative file sizes are not |meaningfull, it should be interpreted as unsigned.)

terrym 15:07 31 Dec 2016

Tried booting from the Setup.exe on the stick, it didn't work as PC needs to boot restart from the USB for a clean install which is what I want. Dialogue message said 'Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 Application'. Downloaded the Media Creation Tool and got same message' ...not a valid Win32...' My conclusion is the its a BIOS issue in not having an option for a USB boot priority. BIOS may be too old for an update, Mobo is ASUS Striker Extreme ACPI BIOS Rev 1305 dated 22/08/2007. May be time to bite the bullet and get a new machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs ├ęcouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)