XP upgrade to Win10 with USB issue

terrym 12:34 30 Dec 2016

Upgrading XP to Win10 & bought a legit Win 10 Home edition USB mem stick, supplied with Key, but I cant’ install via the required reboot as my BIOS does not list a USB option to set as priority to reboot. Motherboard is Phoenix Technologies ASUS Extreme Striker Rev 1305 dated 22/08/2017. Could I do a download install from MS using my Key? Also tried to copy mem stick to Dvd using Nero but one file was too large, over 2 Gb it cant handle. Any suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:54 30 Dec 2016

your hard drive must e FAt32 to be stuck with the 2G file size limit you need NTFS.

Open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd' To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs' So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

click here you can download and burn an iso file to DVD and use your key to install.

Burn-it 16:04 30 Dec 2016

Fruit Bat: read the question carefully before jumping to conclusions.

Also tried to copy mem stick to Dvd using Nero but one file was too large, over 2 Gb it cant handle

It has nothing to do with the file format on the source drive.

There IS a limit to the single file size that is allowed on a DVD

|The cd9660 filesystem can not handle files of more than 2147483647 bytes, |while the specification of the filesystem arguably allows for files up to |4294967295 bytes. (Specifically, the "32 bit quantity" is not specified as |signed or unsigned. In my opinion, since negative file sizes are not |meaningfull, it should be interpreted as unsigned.)

terrym 15:07 31 Dec 2016

Tried booting from the Setup.exe on the stick, it didn't work as PC needs to boot restart from the USB for a clean install which is what I want. Dialogue message said 'Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 Application'. Downloaded the Media Creation Tool and got same message' ...not a valid Win32...' My conclusion is the its a BIOS issue in not having an option for a USB boot priority. BIOS may be too old for an update, Mobo is ASUS Striker Extreme ACPI BIOS Rev 1305 dated 22/08/2007. May be time to bite the bullet and get a new machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?