XP Upgrade from ME

Edith 20:27 07 Nov 2003

Recently tried to upgrade from ME to XP Pro but recieved a message that "unable to do so because it could not locate a winlog.exe file."

Can anyone throw some light on what this file is or if there is a solution?

flecc 12:29 08 Nov 2003

The ME disk must be a Microsoft original as I've posted above for it to be accepted during the XP installation. If the disc you got from Dell is a Restore disc it won't work.

If it's a restore disc it will probably have Dell's name on it somewhere. If it's the original, it will only be marked with Microsoft's name and the OS version name and number.

flecc 12:40 08 Nov 2003

The original disc DOES matter as I've posted above.

An XP Upgrade installation CD demands the former system CD is inserted to verify entitlement to the upgrade, and only the authentic Microsoft installation CD for that earlier version is accepted.

Ignoring that will result in the XP installation stopping with the risk that the original system has been destroyed as well.

In addition, the file system will not be automatically changed to NTFS. It will be that which is chosen during the installation, FAT32 or NTFS.

Edith 14:44 08 Nov 2003

Flecc

Thank you for your message.

I will speak to Dell to check as I believe the disc is a reinsatllation disc.

In which case I may not be able to upgrade to XP if I cannot sort out the missing windows file.

flecc 16:55 08 Nov 2003

Per my Email, we will sort it out so that you can complete the upgrade to XP if Dell cannot help.

AlanPCA 08:50 11 Dec 2003

Did you get an answer from Dell on using their disc?

I have a MESH which came with ME installed and only their recovery CD. I want to know if this will prevent me using the XP Upgrade pack.

alcudia 09:01 11 Dec 2003

It will for a clean install of XP. You must go over the top of an existing ME installation.

Your hard drive will still be fat32. If you convert to ntfs after installing XP the ME installation will be removed.

AlanPCA 09:18 11 Dec 2003

Thanks for your advice.

Just to be clear, you are telling me that if I buy the XP Upgrade disc, then at the point where it asks for the ME disc, the MESH recovery disc will be accepted?

Also, by clean install of XP, do you mean that I should opt for the Full Install and not the Upgrade?

Djohn 09:24 11 Dec 2003

No, as flecc says, if you go for a clean install you will need the qualifying CD as XP will ask for it to be inserted near the beginning of the install. You need the CD as it has to be scanned by your system. at no point are you asked to input the number of the qualifying CD. j.

AlanPCA 09:33 11 Dec 2003

I meant that when it asks for the ME CD, that when I insert the MESH Recovery CD, then it will be accepted.

alcudia 09:37 11 Dec 2003

No, as I have already said, you cannot carry out a clean install if you only have a recovery disc. This disc will not qualify. You do not have a Microsoft full version of ME, so must go over the top of your existing installation. If you try to use the recovery disc as qualifying media your upgrade to XP will not continue.

If you still want a clean installation of XP you must buy the full version and not an upgrade.

Edith, I apologise to you for hijacking this thread.

Alan PCA. If you still want advice on this could you start a new thread. We shouldn't really be discussing this on someone elses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?