XP Upgrade from ME

Edith 20:27 07 Nov 2003

Recently tried to upgrade from ME to XP Pro but recieved a message that "unable to do so because it could not locate a winlog.exe file."

Can anyone throw some light on what this file is or if there is a solution?

The Paul 21:13 07 Nov 2003

I tried to upgrade from ME to XP and it was awful. Eventually I did a fresh install as flecc rightly sugggests. Believe me its the right way to go.

Edith 22:32 07 Nov 2003

Hi to you all

I will have a go at a fresh install tomorrow.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Edith

Edith 22:39 07 Nov 2003

flecc

I purchased my PC from Dell and have all the original disc. Do you think they will have installed a full version of ME. Do you think I should check with them before I try a full installation of XP?

Edith

Edith 23:42 07 Nov 2003

critic-al

Thank you for your reply.

My concern was that other comments have suggested you need to install the original ME disc and I wondered if the disc supplied by Dell were considered to be original but from what you say it doesn't seem to matter.

Edith

Edith 14:44 08 Nov 2003

Flecc

Thank you for your message.

I will speak to Dell to check as I believe the disc is a reinsatllation disc.

In which case I may not be able to upgrade to XP if I cannot sort out the missing windows file.

AlanPCA 08:50 11 Dec 2003

Did you get an answer from Dell on using their disc?

I have a MESH which came with ME installed and only their recovery CD. I want to know if this will prevent me using the XP Upgrade pack.

AlanPCA 09:18 11 Dec 2003

Thanks for your advice.

Just to be clear, you are telling me that if I buy the XP Upgrade disc, then at the point where it asks for the ME disc, the MESH recovery disc will be accepted?

Also, by clean install of XP, do you mean that I should opt for the Full Install and not the Upgrade?

AlanPCA 09:33 11 Dec 2003

I meant that when it asks for the ME CD, that when I insert the MESH Recovery CD, then it will be accepted.

AlanPCA 10:51 11 Dec 2003

Thanks for your help.

I will not continue on this tread. I just wanted to know if the Dell recovery disc could be used.

From the answers my conclusion is that these recovery discs won't work and a full version of XP is needed.

AlanPCA 21:06 14 Dec 2003

MESH tells me that their restart disc will not work with XP Upgrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)