XP two HDD and SP2

chriscross72 19:43 08 Nov 2004

I have just installed a new 80gb hard drive onto which I have installed windows XP pro.
Can I use this 80gb disc as master and the old 40gb disc as slave on the same cable, (IDE is it ? )and will I be able to read data from the smaller disc onto the new one easily ?
Also should I install SP2 onto the new drive before I get too much data onto it ?
I do not have SP1 does this matter ?
Can I partition the new drive off and install everything from the old drive onto it....if so how.........An easy way for an idiot please.....ha ha

Thank you : ))

Dorsai 20:04 08 Nov 2004

Many questions, all at the same time. Where to start?

Can I use this 80gb disc as master and the old 40gb disc as slave on the same cable? YES

will I be able to read data from the smaller disc onto the new one easily: YES

should I install SP2 onto the new drive before I get too much data onto it: YES

I do not have SP1 does this matter: YES

Can I partition the new drive off and install everything from the old drive onto it: YES

That is 6 questions. it can all be done. Which question would you like to have the answer to first.

Each one will attract answers from members. It will prove hard for both you and the fourum members to work out which suggestion applies to which question, and confusion will reign.

But all good questions, deserving a reply.

Dorsai 20:06 08 Nov 2004

missed Q6 out....

if so how?

try one question at a time. avoids confusion as to which answer applies to which question.

IMHO.

chriscross72 20:19 08 Nov 2004

thanks Dorsai
Sorry about all the questions....needed to write them all before I forgot : ))

chriscross72 20:20 08 Nov 2004

where can I get SP 1 from?

Dorsai 20:21 08 Nov 2004

Q1.

How you do this will depend on weather you m/board support cable select (cs) or not.

IF it does the master and slave drive are determined by their position on the ide cable. Set both to CS. middle ide cable plug master, end plug slave (i think)

If it does not support CS set the jumper for one disk to MA (MAster) and the other to SL(ave). Position on cabel does not matter.

Q2.

As long a Q1 done right, just cut and paste/drag and drop etc.

Q3.

SP2 best installed after XP, and before any other stuff. Install XP, Install SP2, install the rest.

Q4.

It does not matter that you missed SP1 as SP2 include SP1, but SP2 does matter, security, etc.

Q5.

You can, but it will remove the XP you have already installed.

Q6.

as very briefly explained.

Hope this helps.

chriscross72 20:31 08 Nov 2004

Thank you very much for your time and advice !
Your answers will be a great help !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?