XP Shutdown shortcut

trickydicky 10:31 27 Jul 2003

I am trying to create an XP shutdown shortcut that I was told to use, by typing in the command line, *runonce.exe-q *rundll32.exe shell32.dll, SHExitWindowsEx 1 but when I click the next button a dialog box pops up telling me that *runonce.exe-q cannot be found. Does anybody out there know what is wrong with this command, as my friend got this tip out of a computer magazine, and they are never wrong are they!!

powerless 10:34 27 Jul 2003

shutdown.exe -s

Thats all that is needed.

powerless 10:42 27 Jul 2003

Shutdown -s

Thats it.

Tempest1 15:53 27 Jul 2003

Been using this program and it works well

click here
/

Alwood 17:02 27 Jul 2003

why shut down quick? it is far better to start up quick by letting your PC hibernate, you then get a quick start up

trickydicky 20:26 28 Jul 2003

The shutdown.exe utility does not power down my PC,but thanks anyway.Thanks Tempest1, the program you recommended does the job a treat, just one click and it shuts down. Cheers everybody

A Cat Called George 17:36 21 Aug 2003

I came to this thread while looking for something to remind me of the shortcut for the Windows remote shutdown tool. After a bit of fiddling I arrived at this shortcut:- %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 01

That will shutdown a pc running Windows XP Pro after a 1 second delay, I assume it works for XP home too. Just paste in:- shutdown.exe -s -t 01 and Windows will add the rest for you so the path will be correct. The delay can be adjusted by changing the number at the end of the shortcut.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?