XP Service pack 3 and AMD

Cmdr Vimes 12:42 09 Aug 2008

I was wondering if the issue of crashes/endless reboots had been resolved with service pack 3 and AMD machines.

I've got a AMD 64 Compaq presario and have conintually opting not to install the pack. This is getting a little tedious as XP wants to install it all the time. Is it safe to install now or does it need a patch?

gengiscant 12:55 09 Aug 2008

I don't believe all AMD machines are affected.I certainly am as I have an AMD PC with Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard.
I had the endless reboot problem,so have not bothered to try and install it again and have turned off automatic updates so I am not continually nagged.
It is also necessary to tun off the nagging shield notification.
I update my machine once a week manually.
It works for me.

PO79 13:15 09 Aug 2008

click here for info and workaround.

Furkin 13:46 09 Aug 2008

AMD Athlon - 2400
-----------------
I tried the download version when it first came out,,,,, but try as I might, I couldn't get it to load.
In the end I paid to have a disc version sent to me,,,, "Great" thought I,,,, but again, it wouldn't load.

When I put a post on here, someone suggested that it was because I was still running IE6,,, but as i'd had similar trouble loading the download version of that also (& some bad comments about it) I didn't bother.

Then the other week - I also got the 'Update' version and as I had a bit of time on my hands decided to let it try again - expecting it to fail.

This time it went straight in !

It may be just a matter of keep trying eh ?

Good luck

Furkin 13:51 09 Aug 2008

M.Soft - UK seem to have a team dedicated to this problem.
I contacted them by e-mail, & the replier seemed very knowledgeable about it and offered to get it running,,,, & staying in touch until it did.
As I'd ordered the CD I didn't bother.

Maybe other readers have used their services & can put their opinion here also.

n4165si 14:10 09 Aug 2008

I had the same misgivings regarding this update as i have an Amd chip with Sli board but i went ahead and let the wizard do the installing from a microsoft update and had no problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?