xp pro limits?

madPentium 12:58 03 Nov 2003

I have been to a small company today that use 15 windows xp pro computers on a network and the server is just a pc with beefed up memory and hdd. All they do at this company is create word documents and the occasional spreadsheet, nothing heavy. The xp pro machine acting as a server has a backup tape drive attached. I installed a couple of new pcs onto the network today but they say the server is at its limit?
Can only so many people connect to xp pro? I thought if is was simple sharing there wouldnt be a limit? What if I disconnect mappings and they simply connect through network places, would this overcome it?

If not, can you buy a kit to add to pro to allow more users?

Many thanks

AndySD 14:44 03 Nov 2003

When you are using your Windows XP pro system as a File-server of a network of system,
10 systems can connect (use a shared resource) at the same time. Removing mapping may well solve this problem

-Beb- 16:52 03 Nov 2003

Make sure that your network is on a domain rather than a workstation (or the other way round. I forget). This should give you a nearly unlimited network capacity :)

madPentium 17:00 03 Nov 2003

I'll try that. It isnt setup as a domain.

AndySD 17:12 03 Nov 2003

Since you dont have a domain controller (a computer running Windows 2000 Server) setting it to a Domain will not work. The only real way to get arround the 10 user limit is to set up a server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)