XP pro back to 98se

[DELETED] 19:44 12 Oct 2003

My P3 450mz has XP pro and I would like to re-install win 98se, simple enough !!! But it`s turning out not so simple. I`ve set bios to cd first and it ignores win 98 cd and loads XP anyway... So i set bios to floppy first and use a win98 startup disc and it tells me to remove all discs and press any key, where upon yep, it loads XP again. anyone help please ?

[DELETED] 19:47 12 Oct 2003

98 won't load over a later OS - you'll have to wipe your HDD and then install.

[DELETED] 19:48 12 Oct 2003
  LastChip 19:59 12 Oct 2003

There may be a way over this, but what are you trying to achieve?

Why for example, don't you format your drive and install Win98se as leo49 suggests?

hssutton 20:02 12 Oct 2003

I did this a couple of days ago using a Win 98 startup disk. I booted with the 98 startup which allowed me to go into Dos. I then used fdisk to delete the ntfs partition. In bios I set boot-up from Cd-rom and let the Win 98 cd-rom do the rest, not sure if this is the best way, but it works.

[DELETED] 20:24 12 Oct 2003

As I said, win 98 startup disc will not take me into DOS, after the initial screen setup it stops, `remove all discs and press any key`...

AndySD, thanks for your lead...

leo49,LastChip,this is what I`m trying to do,how ?

[DELETED] 20:38 12 Oct 2003

I am SO sorry fellas, the startup disc I was using turned out to be blank, I think my grandson must have ...... well anyway I`ll get on with the job now. please forgive one oldie for being so stupid...thanks a lot..

LastChip 20:38 12 Oct 2003

First, double check your FIRST boot device is set to Floppy. From what you have said, I don't think there's too much doubt about that!

Make sure your second boot device is selected to Hard Drive 0 (or 1, depends on the BIOS - but in any case, drive C:).

Now boot from your floppy and when you get the message "remove all disks etc", ignore it, and press enter.

See if that gets you to a DOS prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?