xp - how to install software for 1 user only

rsturbo 03:23 08 Jun 2005

i have 2 users on my xp pro pc (both administrators) i need to install a piece of software on one acount (A) but must not be viewable or affect other account (B) (i have office 2000 on both accounts (A+B) but need to put office 97 on 1 account (A) without affecting how the other account (B) works with office 2000 - they must not be able to access office 97)

thanks for any help

ade.h 18:53 08 Jun 2005

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question (ought to, but the old memory ain't so good!) but I thought I should wonder out loud whether having two versions of the same suite of apps isn't going to cause headaches with things like file associations, system files and registry data. Try it by all means, but make a restore point and be prepared for glitches. On the other hand it may just work fine!

Regarding your question, some (but by no means all) installers have an option for that during the install process. MS Office's install wizard may have it, but bear in mind that you might need to remove and re-install any such program if your access needs change. As for whether it can be adjusted at in time and for any program, I don't think so, but can't be 100% on that.

Hope that helps.

mattyc_92 21:33 08 Jun 2005

Quote from ade.h:

I should wonder out loud whether having two versions of the same suite of apps isn't going to cause headaches with things like file associations, system files and registry data

End Quote

Yes is will more than likely happen, although if you have the time and paitents, you could manually change the file assoiations back....

To stop another user from using a program, install Office 97 into a folder called "Microsoft Office 97" so that it doen't install in the same directory as Office 2000

Now once the installation is complete, you now need to CUT and PASTE the shortcuts that the installation created.... These will be located at "c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs" They will either be all in one folder, or "scattered" within this directory... Simply open up "c:\documents and settings\account a\start menu\programs" and paste the shortcuts there (or create another folder and place them in there)...

Now that you have the shortcuts from the Start Menu in your account only, time to remove/move the Desktop shortcuts (if any)... Go to "c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop" and cut and paste the shortcuts onto your desktop (or delete them)

Now we have the shortcuts sorted out, time to deny access to the installation folder.... If you are running WinXP Pro, you can do this right now, otherwise, print this info off and reboot into Safe Mode for WinXP Home.... You may need to untick the "Use Simple File Sharing" option from the View tab in the Folder options (open up a folder and click onto "Tools->Folder Options")

Go to "c:\program files" and right-click "Microsoft Office 97" and select properties... Now click onto the "Security" tab and change the permissions to stop the other user from accessing this directory....

If you more details on the permissions, just e-mail me and I will make a guide for you to follow and e-mail it back to you...

mattyc_92 19:46 09 Jun 2005

any look?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?