XP Home shutdown error

130357 13:09 03 Aug 2003

I have recently started getting the following message at every shutdown:
Wincomp.exe application error
0x73dd1946 Ref memory at 0x00325004.
I have "gone back" to a previous error free date, but it persists.
The only download I've done is for my Systemwork antivirus annual registration.
I have a limited knowledge of software, so please make any answers idiot proof! Thanks, in advance.

Chegs ® 14:19 03 Aug 2003

click here search?q=cache:YVAWaakvZG4J:download.nai.com/products/media/magic/support/zac/zac64/ readme.wri+Wincomp.exe+application+error&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

appears to point to Mcafee? AV.If this is your AV prog,then suggested fix is at the above URL.

Chegs ® 14:24 03 Aug 2003
  Namibia 20:47 10 Aug 2003

Chegs, Thanks for your reply but what should I do with your answer. I'm taken to a site which asks me to download a programme but I've always been told to never download anything unknown. What does it do? I've never installed Mcafee. I have Norton. I'm now getting a different message ending "memory cannot be written"

malgall 21:19 10 Aug 2003

i would try contact symantec who make norton
you should have the help web page listed on your computer
but if not its click here

Djohn 21:27 10 Aug 2003

Usually, but not always, refers to the fact that the last program/application you have been using is holding on to that portion of memory, hence the message! Not sure if this helps you.

I was receiving the same type of error when exiting from Express, after reading an-email then closing the program. It was traced back to the anti-virus program I was using. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?