XP Home re-install

MorningBard 11:39 26 Aug 2005
Answered

I want to reinstall XP home onto a HP Pavilion computer with Celeron procossor 2.53 GHZ, 504 MB DDr 2700 Ram, but do not want all the excess stuff that comes with shop bought pc. How can I isolate the operating system from the 6 back up disks I have created so that I only install XP. The pc does not seem to perform any better than my own which runs on an AMD 600 Duron processor 384 MB of ram. It seems to continually download HP updates and my wife is fed up with how slow it is..Spybot and Ad-Aware are run daily. the six disks all show the same folders 1386 Preload and a file called Master.
Any suggestions please..

rawprawn 11:53 26 Aug 2005
Answer

I think to get rid of all the "excess" you will need to format and reinstall XP Home for which you will need the XP CD. I don't think you can do it from backup discs.

PC Bilbo 13:10 26 Aug 2005

If it's a Pavilion ,XP is normally pre-installed and they generally give you a set of rescue discs containing XP & license and all the motherboard and graphics drivers etc.

If, however, you have XP isolated on one CD and can install this you could "explore" the other discs and install just the drivers and progrmmes you need.Then you could manually search HP's Support site for any
driver updates as they become necessary.

If asked for a Product Key, HP are supposed to have stuck this somewhere on the case (usually at the Rear)

PC Bilbo 13:11 26 Aug 2005

If it's a Pavilion ,XP is normally pre-installed and they generally give you a set of rescue discs containing XP & license and all the motherboard and graphics drivers etc.

If, however, you have XP isolated on one CD and can install this you could "explore" the other discs and install just the drivers and progrmmes you need.Then you could manually search HP's Support site for any

If asked for a Product Key, HP are supposed to have stuck this somewhere on the case (usually at the Rear)

PC Bilbo 13:11 26 Aug 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?