XP Home error messages, Microsoft report sending?

HAYESBOY 07:17 07 Oct 2003

I keep getting error messages in Xp Home. At first it was when i was running games, but now i am finding that Internet Explorer and Microsoft Management Console are getting them as well. I also get the odd computer restart.
The message is something like, IE has detected and error and must close down. It goes on to say that i can send an error report to Microsoft. When i do send a report it sometimes directs me to a site that tells me that a device driver is at fault but it cant tell me which one.
I have gone through all the drivers and cannot find anything wrong with them. I have an error log the size of your arm.
My computer supplier is sending a replacement stick of ram, as they think it might be a memory problem or if not that then reinstall windows.
Computer spec is, P4 2.66GHZ ASUS 9520 FX5200 120mb 40GB INTEL 865PE.
I have downloaded all the latest updates and drivers for all the above.

Has anyone come across these sort of messages, and if so did you have a remedy?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Lozzy 07:24 07 Oct 2003

I would try 2 things..

1. Click on start>>Run then type sfc /scannow (note the space between the C and /) make sure you have the XP CD in the Rom.

if that does not do the trick

2. try running IE Repair.. By way of Control Panel add/remove progs then high light IE click Repair.

HAYESBOY 09:32 07 Oct 2003

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to repair XP in the BIOS option, but it asked me for the administrator password and i wasnt aware that there was one.
I will try the first option when i get home.
Thanks again.

handful 10:29 07 Oct 2003

HAYESBOY
There won't be a password unless you set one up. Just continue without entering and you should be ok.

HAYESBOY 10:37 07 Oct 2003

I have a password for me as the owner, but it asked for am administrater password. I put my password in three times and then it would not let me try again. The old three stikes and youre out.
I will try Lozzy's suggestion tonight when i get in.
Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?