XP Home cannot store network passwords

EatSomeCheese 21:28 04 May 2003

I have a new Compaq notebook running XP Home and I have found a couple of *VERY* annoying issues that might force me to upgrade to XP Pro. I move the notebook between my home network (with just a workgroup) and the network at my workplace (on a domain). I have set up all the alternate IP addresses and everything, this is fine. The problem comes when I map a network drive to access my folders at work, I have to connect as a different username and password, this is fine and I can connect the first time. But after a reboot the drives fail to connect and when I double click on them I am prompted to enter my username and password for that share (and the "remember this password" tick box is not there).
Eventually I trace this down to the fact that Microsoft has taken out the facility to store network passwords in XP Home!!! I find this astonishing as the XP tour has a whole section on Home Networking. So basically it means that I have to enter all my details for every mapped drive (about 13) every time I turn my notebook on!! A friend has a notebook with XP pro and he can go to 'Start > Control Panel > User Accounts', click on their user name and on 'Manage Network Passwords'. He can click 'Add' to just manually put in the details to have them stored, I have looked but this is unavailable in XP Home (the add button is missing). Does anyone know of a fix or anything else I can do?? Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts